Next door of...

mandrain
Hi,
I heard "When is the next door of the museum?" in the Movie.
Does this sentence mean when will the museum be open? Is this usage common?
Thanks for your help

• jimreilly

American English
    Hi,
    I heard "When is the next door of the museum?" in the Movie.
    Does this sentence mean when will the museum be open? Is this usage common?
    Thanks for your help

This is not standard English, and I don't know what it means. Either you heard incorrectly, or it was a mistake.

What you heard could possibly have been "What is next door to the museum?" = what building (or park, or something else) is next to the museum. If, for example, someone were going to steal jewels from the museum, they might think of digging a tunnel from a building next door, and they might ask "What is next door to the museum?" These kinds of things do happen in movies!

mandrain
    This is not standard English, and I don't know what it means. Either you heard incorrectly, or it was a mistake.

What you heard could possibly have been "What is next door to the museum?" = what building (or park, or something else) is next to the museum. If, for example, someone were going to steal jewels from the museum, they might think of digging a tunnel from a building next door, and they might ask "What is next door to the museum?" These kinds of things do happen in movies!
    Hi, Jimreilly:
    I don't know if i listen the words are right or not?
    I guess that means "when will the museum be open?" because the other person said " That will be at three."

jimreilly

American English
    Well, I'm puzzled as to what it could be, because "When is the next door of the museum?" doesn't make sense and I can't imagine a native English speaker saying it....maybe someone else has an idea?

Aud Duck

English--United States
    I cannot imagine a native speaker saying "next door of," either. It's possible that it's idiomatic to a very specific dialect, but my guess is that you heard wrong.

jimreilly

American English
    Well, I can, with some effort, imagine "next door of", although it is not standard Engish. It's the "When is the next door of" that I can't imagine. And since museums generally do not open at three o'clock, the answer "That will be at three" doesn't help me either.

Let's try another strategy--what movie was this from?

dificilima

A language I no longer speak...
    Is there any chance that it might have been "When will the museum next door open?" That would be appropriate if they were asking someone at a place next to, but not in, the museum.

Vikorr

Australia, English
    If the movie was in Italian, then perhaps you heard the word wrong - Porta & Aperta/o are pretty close phonetically (yes, I know this is an english only forum, but it just struck me as a possibility).