next occassion

< Previous | Next >

nylg85

Chinese
Hi, greeting to all.

I'd like find out if the use of occassion is correct.

My company demanded us to write down what is the reason the customer would come for next purchase. There was a customer written down: next occasion.

I wonder if it means next cerebration.

Thanks in advance for answering.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Please try again to explain your question. Is it customers who are being asked, or the company's staff?

The word cerebration is extremely unusual and almost certainly not what you mean.

nylg85

Chinese
    Please try again to explain your question. Is it customers who are being asked, or the company's staff?

The word cerebration is extremely unusual and almost certainly not what you mean.
    Thanks for your answer.
    It was part of a blank row in form for the customer to fill in. Sometimes the staffs fill in for customer if the customer has no clue on how to answer. We'd like sort of inducting them in to proper answer.
    It was the customer who written next occasion. The word I still yet to fully grasp the use.

Sorry, I meant celebration.

My intention in this question is to find out if the word occasion covered meanin of words like gifting, birthday, festival, new year so far so on.

I've tried searched online and found there's no such usage available. Therefore I doubt if the customer was right about the answer she wrote.

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    You haven't told us what kind of company this is or how the question is actually worded, so it's still very difficult to give a sensible answer.

It's possible that the person who replied "next occasion" was making a facetious comment rather than giving a serious answer to that rather strange question. "Next occasion" is meaningless — it's like saying "I'll come back and buy something else next time I come back and buy something else".

In this context, the word "occasion" is NOT being used in the sense of a special occasion such as a birthday or a wedding. Instead, its meaning is an event or occurrence, or the time at which it takes place. Here are some other examples of that use:

I've visited Beijing on several occasions (meaning: I've been there several times)
    He had already been fined for speeding on several occasions (= several times)
    You are not allowed to smoke in the grounds, but I'll let you off on this occasion (= this time)

nylg85

Chinese
    You haven't told us what kind of company this is or how the question is actually worded, so it's still very difficult to give a sensible answer.

It's possible that the person who replied "next occasion" was making a facetious comment rather than giving a serious answer to that rather strange question. "Next occasion" is meaningless — it's like saying "I'll come back and buy something else next time I come back and buy something else".

In this context, the word "occasion" is NOT being used in the sense of a special occasion such as a birthday or a wedding. Instead, its meaning is an event or occurrence, or the time at which it takes place. Here are some other examples of that use:

I've visited Beijing on several occasions (meaning: I've been there several times)
    He had already been fined for speeding on several occasions (= several times)
    You are not allowed to smoke in the grounds, but I'll let you off on this occasion (= this time)
    Thanks again for your promtly reply I really appreciate that.
    It's a scenario which happens daily in my gold shop.
    It wasn't a serious question neither the way the customer replied. The question actually goes like What is the reason for your next purchase with our shop? And usually I will recite the question.
    So do you mean next occasion just another to say when i will come I will come?

lingobingo

English - England
    What is the reason for your next purchase with our shop? can only be answered truthfully if, while still in your shop (or on your website), your customer has already decided to come back in the future and buy something else — which is highly unlikely. It's an illogical thing to ask.

If, instead, you asked What was your reason for this purchase from our shop? that would be much easier to answer because it refers to an actual occasion on which the person has made a purchase.

nylg85

Chinese
    What is the reason for your next purchase with our shop? can only be answered truthfully if, while still in your shop (or on your website), your customer has already decided to come back in the future and buy something else — which is highly unlikely. It's an illogical thing to ask.

If, instead, you asked What was your reason for this purchase from our shop? that would be much easier to answer because it refers to an actual occasion on which the person has made a purchase.

Thanks for your reply.
    The question is ask after closing sale. It's actually a question embeded in the membership application form.

And I find the question awkward too at first.
    Because the factor for next purchase is based what they felt on the current purchase is in fact asking the factor why they purchased now.
    So why not just ask what is the reason for this purchase?
    But it seems to be fine with customers and staffs alike gradually I'm getting used to it now.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Do you mean that your firm is asking for feedback: are you asking them if they were satisfied with your store, and if so, what would make them likely to come to your store again in the future?

nylg85

Chinese
    a
    Do you mean that your firm is asking for feedback: are you asking them if they were satisfied with your store, and if so, what would make them likely to come to your store again in the future?
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, exactly. In fact your rephrased of the question makes much more sense.

< Previous | Next >