Next session/class/lesson

< Previous | Next >

Afshin81

Persian - Iran
Hi everyone
Suppose a teacher is talking to her students at the end of the class hour.
Which sentence sounds more natural/common in the United States and the UK?

Next session, we'll study lesson two.
Next lesson, we'll study lesson two.
Next class, we'll study lesson two.

• Rhye

English - American
    The second option sounds egregious to me—the repetition of the word "lesson" cannot be advisable.

The first and third could both work. I feel like it's a bit more natural to be a bit more explicit when you use the word "session"; I would say "In our next session..." but I definitely don't think my version absolutely necessary.

In American English I think the third would be the most commonly said by a wide margin.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    "We'll study lesson two" is a highly unlikely thing for a teacher to say in my experience. 'Chapter 2' for example of the book we're reading in a literature class would be possible, or the name of a topic, the 'romantic poets'. That's not what you asked about but if we remove 'lesson two' from the sentence, I'd expect to hear 'Next lesson/next time/ next week/next (Tuesday)/ When we meet again/, to mention a few common phrases.

Afshin81

Persian - Iran
    "We'll study lesson two" is a highly unlikely thing for a teacher to say in my experience. 'Chapter 2' for example of the book we're reading in a literature class would be possible, or the name of a topic, the 'romantic poets'. That's not what you asked about but if we remove 'lesson two' from the sentence, I'd expect to hear 'Next lesson/next time/ next week/next (Tuesday)/ When we meet again/, to mention a few common phrases.
    So, you don't ever use "next session"?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I won't normally have occasion to use next session. Our seminars/lectures/tutorials are weekly ones, and so I'm more likely to say 'next week', 'next tutorial', 'next lecture' and so on. We also number our weeks, and I might say 'on week 5' and so on.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I have never heard 'session' used for a lesson, or used it myself. It sounds rather American to me, but I did include 'next lesson' first on my list. Perhaps you meant do I never use or heard used 'next class'. I'd say 'no' to that. Of course I use the word class but not for a teaching session which I call a period, in high school.
    'Next period' would be another possibility. (Getting onto lists now!)
    I think you'll find a wide variety of responses which will reflect different styles of speaking as well as AE vs BE differences, so I suggest you make a list of the options, then tick off what each response says in BE vs AE columns.

< Previous | Next >