Next time, I will cook for you.

Δημήτρης

Cypriot Greek
I want a natural, informal way to say this
Next time, I will cook for you.
Next time implies "when we meet again".

I came up with 「今度、お前のため料理するぞ!」but I'm getting zero hits on google.co.jp for "のため料理するぞ", so I suppose it's not natural.

• Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    But ディミトリス, you need to make it clear who is speaking to whom in what kind of situation....!

While I wait for more context, let me mention that I'd use benefactive constructions for the speaker to do something for the listener. They are typically created by auxiliaries such as やる and あげる.

Δημήτρης

Cypriot Greek
    But ディミトリス, you need to make it clear who is speaking to whom in what kind of situation....!

While I wait for more context, let me mention that I'd use benefactive constructions for the speaker to do something for the listener. They are typically created by auxiliaries such as やる and あげる.
    Right, やる & co. I always avoid them because I'm not sure how to use them (that's wrong attitude towards learning, I know).

It is supposed to be quoted speech translated to Japanese. The actual sentence was spoken at the end of an オフ会, between two boys, 19 and 17 years old.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Right, やる & co. I always avoid them because I'm not sure how to use them (that's wrong attitude towards learning, I know).
    Start from reading threads tagged "benefactive" in the forum. ;)
    [Hint: Let's spread the bliss of tags!]
    It is supposed to be quoted speech translated to Japanese. The actual sentence was spoken at the end of an オフ会, between two boys, 19 and 17 years old.
    If you are going to cook for all the participants to the next offline meeting, you need not translate "for you" part:
    今度はぼくが料理するよ。
    今度はぼくが料理作るよ。

Assuming someone cooked for everyone this time (今度 implies that), the speaker declares by these sentences that he is going to take the chef's role for the next. The sentential particle -yo bears the declaratory force.

Despite what I said about benefactives, I decided not to use them this time. It'd sound too ingratiating.

Last edited:

Δημήτρης

Cypriot Greek
    If you are going to cook for all the participants to the next offline meeting, you need not translate "for you" part:
    今度はぼくが料理するよ。
    今度はぼくが料理作るよ。

Assuming someone cooked for everyone this time (今度 implies that), the speaker declares by these sentences that he is going to take the chef's role for the next. The sentential particle -yo bears the declaratory force.

Despite what I said about benefactives, I decided not to use them this time. It'd sound too ingratiating.
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I should give a bit more context.
    It seems like 今度は implies something that is not the case, since no one cooked this time and also the "next time" does not mean "the next offline meeting" but an unrelated meeting of the two who had this conversation.
    Maybe また会うとき would be better?

PS. Thanks for the tip about the tags as well.

< Previous | Next >