Next to the house

SerinusCanaria3075

México, D.F. (Spanish)
I have a quick and easy question. From what I understand the preposition "lângă" is required by the accusative case. So should the noun after such preposition have a definite article or not?

Magazinul e chiar lângă casă.

Shouldn't it be "casa" rather than "casă" to say:
The store is right next to the house?

• Trisia

Romanian
    Quick, yes. Easy, no :D

Short answer: No.
    Long[er] answer: It should not. I have no idea why, but I suspect it's because "lângă casă" is an adverbial. Not that this would actually mean anything.

OldAvatar

Romanian
    casă is correct.
    You don't need a definite article in this case, so casa would be incorrect. In case that the speaker would like to point out which house is that, the new house, for example, then the phrase will be like this:

Magazinul este chiar lângă casa cea nouă
    The store is right next to the new house.

SerinusCanaria3075

México, D.F. (Spanish)
    I see:thumbsup:. I was just needed to make sure "casă" was correct, which it is if the sentence ends with the noun but if an adjective or possessive follows it then it would require the definite article.

One last question using the same sentence. If I were to say (removing "chiar"):
    The store is right next to my house.

Would pe be needed?:
    Magazinul este pe lângă casa mea.

Trisia

Romanian
    Actually you can use it or lose it, your choice. Yo me, they have slightly different meanings though.

If I say "magazinul este lângă casa mea," I take it to mean it's either adjacent or very close.

"Magazinul este pe lângă casa mea" is... quite loose in meaning. The store is over there somewhere, close to my house.

OldAvatar

Romanian
    Actually this form is frequently used in spoken language. I also reckon it is, at least, doubtful but it is still used:
    Magazinul este pe lângă casa mea.

It is probably a reminiscence of:
    Magazinul este undeva pe lângă casa mea.
    The store is somewhere close to my house.

Also, in all these situations, in order to have a much clear message, I prefer to use the verb a (se) afla, instead of a fi. But I guess that's just a matter of choice.

Magazinul se află undeva pe lângă casa mea.

Best regards!

SerinusCanaria3075

México, D.F. (Spanish)
    So pe lângă is not the most accurate way to say an object is next to another. It's closer to "by/close/near the house" rather than actually "next to it". On the other hand I was unaware the the verb afla can have the sense of "a fi prezent" when used in the reflexive form.
    However, there are two things that still give me a headache.

1. Is there a difference in meaning when one uses de lângă?
    2.When I searched for lângă:
    2 c) alături de - is this another way to say "next to" or is it only used for comparisons like Ion looks small next to him.:confused:

Sorry to keep insisting. It's just that in Spanish we always use "al lado de" (similar to Portuguese ao lado de) to say "next to" anything.

OldAvatar

Romanian
    1. Is there a difference in meaning when one uses de lângă?
    In my oppinion, de lângă is locating the place more precise than pe lângă. When you say pe lângă, the meaning is, at least in spoken language, that the place is somewhere close to a known place, while de lângă explains that the place is exactly next to that known place.

2 c) alături de - is this another way to say "next to" or is it only used for comparisons like Ion looks small next to him.

alături de
    means the same thing as lângă, in general. As for comparison, you use pe lângă but not de lângă.
    Example:
    Ion pare mic pe lângă Florin.
    The logic is that in case you'd place Ion next to Florin, then Ion would look small.

SerinusCanaria3075

México, D.F. (Spanish)
    Perfect:thumbsup:, as far as lângă goes I don't think there will be any more questions;).

Example:
    Ion pare mic pe lângă Florin.
    So one can also say "...alături de Florin" correct? (or for that matter "în comparatie cu Florin")

Something that caught my attention is the fact that "alături" comes from the plural of lătŭs, and of course adding "ad" to "latera". I guess Romanian didn't want a Sicilian type of sound by simply dropping the -s (allatu) which is what seems to have happened in Spanish (al lado) and Italian (allato).:cool:

OldAvatar

Romanian
    În comparaţie cu Florin
    would be the expression that I would prefer to use, IMHO. It is a quite clear expression which ressembles the modern, every day Romanian. It is not that the others are wrong, it is just that this one is the closest to the logical message.

And as an interesting fact, lângă and alături are very close related, even if they don't look that way at a first look.

lângă = ad longum
    alături = ad latera

< Previous | Next >