next week

navi

Banned
armenian
Which of these sentences are correct:

1-I'd like to change my appointment this week for one next week.
2-I'd like to change my appointment this week for next week.
3-I'd like to change my appointment for one next week. ('this week' being implied after 'my appointment')
4-I'd like to change my appointment for next week.
('this week' being implied after 'my appointment')

They are all supposed to mean the same. I think in a different context 4 would mean I have an appointment next week and I'd like to change the day.

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    navi said:
    Which of these sentences are correct:

They are all supposed to mean the same. I think in a different context 4 would mean I have an appointment next week and I'd like to change the day.

None in that case. You keep saying "my appointment this week"!
    Assuming that you mistyped that bit …

1-I'd like to change my appointment this week for one next week. :tick:
    2-I'd like to change my appointment this week for next week. :cross:
    3-I'd like to change my appointment for one next week. ('this week' being implied after 'my appointment') :warn::tick:
    4-I'd like to change my appointment for next week. :cross:
    ('this week' being implied after 'my appointment')

2 would need to be "to next week".
    4 is as you suggest, but again, "to next week" would cure it.
    I'd not be happy with "my appointment this week" but I think it is standard American English usage. In 4, you seem to assume that the person making the appointments will automatically know that your appointment is for "this week" - these are busy people and they don't remember us, even if we like to think thay do! :( :)

I'd prefer to say "I'd like to change my (name of day) appointment to next week."
    Help the person get the diary page immediately.

Joelline

American English
    Actually, as an AE speaker, I'd probably say, "I'd like to change my 10 a.m. appointment for this Wednesday (Tuesday, Friday, etc) to one for next week." As Maxiogee suggests, that gets them to the right page in the doctor's appointment book immediately.

river

U.S. English
    That's true El, but I was assuming an introductory sentence: "Hello, this is Anita Feelgood. I have an appointment with Dr. Pain on Friday the 13th. Something has come up (acute triskaidephobia) so I'd like to move the appointment to next week.