NGC-Certified / NGC-certified [capitalization question]

< Previous | Next >

RichieB16

English - USA
I just joined to get quick help with something, I hope this is the right place for this. I am an native English speaker from the US.

Anyway, I am a member of coin collecting forum and occasionally different members hold contests. Recently a member started a contest with a secret prize...and the goal was to solve a cryptogram. The whole code was capitalized, and along with solving it we have to make sure all punctuation and capitalization is correct. I'll admit I am not the best with some of the finer points of grammar...and I have tried to do the best I can. I was hoping someone here would be willing to help me ensure my grammar was exact. Here is the cryptogram solved:

The winner of this contest will receive a pair of NGC-Certified California States Quarters graded mint state sixty-seven. Congratulations, and thanks for playing.
The cryptogram included both hyphens and the comma after "Congratulations." Capitalization is where I am struggling. Where it says "NGC-Certified," NGC is the initials for a coin grading company and thus should be all in caps. But, should "certified" also be capitalized? Also, where it says "California States Quarters," I am unsure if that should be in caps. Those are the state quarters made in 2005 for California. I felt that since this was from the State Quarter program...that "California States Quarters" was a proper name and should all be capitalized.

I know this is probably really simple, but it is important to me that I get it correct. I would appreciate any help I can get to make sure the grammar is exact. Thank you!!!

• Myridon

English - US
    I would say "NGC-certified California state quarters" with no "s" on "state", however the US Mint website uses "The 50 State Quarters Program" so a case can be made for "NGC-certified California State Quarters" (still no "s" on "states"). A case can also be made for "NGC-certified California State quarters" where it's a quarter for California State rather than a state quarter for California.
    Since, the "s" on "States" is wrong, your friend's opinion of "correct" is rather suspect so this is pretty much a guessing game for what your friend thinks is "correct".

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) is inconsistent on its own Web site, so I don't see how we can decide what's right here. Sometimes they capitalize, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they use the hyphen, sometimes they don't.

Personally, I'd take "certified" to be an ordinary word here, so it shouldn't be capitalized. If the phrase "NGC Certified" were some sort of trademarked designation, then it would be, but a quick look at NCG's site didn't support the idea that it is. Someone with more time to go through that site (or a stronger interest in coming up with the right answer) might find it, though.

RichieB16

English - USA
    Since, the "s" on "States" is wrong, your friend's opinion of "correct" is rather suspect so this is pretty much a guessing game for what your friend thinks is "correct".
    I kind of had that same thought...but since that "s" is in the code, I have to keep it. I'm sort of leaning towards not capitalizing certified, but capitalizing States and Quarters. I have a little time to figure it out though.

< Previous | Next >