Nice to meet you ... when you already know the person?

< Previous | Next >

abc890

Tagalog
I know it's correct to say "nice to meet you" after shaking hands and saying your name, but is it still correct to say the phrase when you know the person (i.e. talked to them and all) but didn't know their name?

• abc890

Tagalog
    thank you for your reply. i agree with you, although i have heard this a few times and have been wondering ever since.

EStjarn

Spanish
    ...is it still correct to say the phrase when you know the person (i.e. talked to them and all) but didn't know their name?
    To me it seems the phrase go hand in hand with the handshake and the exchange of names. I wouldn't know what else to say, regardless of whether we've talked before.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I know it's correct to say "nice to meet you" after shaking hands and saying your name, but is it still correct to say the phrase when you know the person (i.e. talked to them and all) but didn't know their name?
    I agree with your questioning the phrase. I wouldn't say "nice to meet you" when it wasn't really a meeting for the first time.

If you'd talked to the person or exchanged e-mail, but had not actually seen each other earlier, you might say, "Nice to meet you in person!"

Or if you had seen each other when you spoke earlier but had simply not exchanged names, you could say, "It's good to learn your name!" or "Now I know what to call you!" or "Well, now we have been formally introduced!"

< Previous | Next >