nice words to a girls to befriend her

< Previous | Next >

Alameen

Arabic
Dear English Experts
When Some people see an attractive girl passing by, they only say to her some words in admiration at her looks in order to persuade her take their numbers or befriend them, and the same can be done on the phone with anonymous women, this may fall under harassment but is there any specific word for it? specially when what is said seems pleasant, but regardless of how the girl perceives it, she may like it or hate it, some societies consider this behaviour juvenile.
I read the definition of flirt, but not sure if it is exactly the word word for my above mentioned situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Hermione Golightly

British English
    Welcome to the forum

[QUOTE]

When Some people see an attractive girl passing by, they only say to her some words in admiration at her looks in order to persuade her take their numbers or befriend them, and the same can be done on the phone with anonymous women, this may fall under harassment but is there any specific word for it? specially when what is said seems pleasant, but regardless of how the girl perceives it, she may like it or hate it, some societies consider this behaviour juvenile.
    I read the definition of flirt, but not sure if it is exactly the word word for my above mentioned situation.

.....[/QUOTE] It is called harassment and it is unacceptable. In the UK it is not 'excused' as 'juvenile'. It has nothing to do with 'may' or 'might'.

but is there any specific word for it? specially when what is said seems pleasant, but regardless of how the girl perceives it, she may like it or hate it, some societies consider this behaviour juvenile.
    Such behaviour in these situations is not called 'flirting'. 'Flirting' is mutual fun by people who know each other already or are getting to know each other. There are all sorts of other terms that are also fairly unoffensive and can be used by women also to express their attraction to a man. Some of these are mentioned in the thread linked to by velisarius

Male abusers often dismiss their behaviour as 'just joking', 'flirting' or 'only fun'. (As far as I know women do not behave like this.)
    Getting calls from unknown men asking for 'contact details' is upsetting. Getting sexually siuggestive calls from total strangers is very terrible. I was once the victim of this sort of wretched pervert. That man already had my 'contact details', somehow. If you are a serious and decent person, you are not 'anonymous'.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In the US, this behavior is acceptable in some situations, and there it is called "flirting".

For example, there are many bars and nightclubs that single people visit (of both sexes). Some are there just for fun, but many of them go there to find someone to date. There, it is never offensive to try to start a conversation, hoping that a long happy conversation will lead to dating.

In most situations, this behavior is offensive. Flirting with a stranger on the street (someone who is just trying to walk somewhere) is offensive. Calling a woman anonymously and flirting is worse. It is illegal: you can lose your job, you can even go to jail.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Dojibear (post #5) is right when it comes to bars, parties, etc. But the question dealt with "girls" (I assume you meant young women) "passing by"—i.e., on a public street. As Dojibear goes on to explain, making remarks in such a situation is rude and offensive.

Alameen

Arabic
    Dojibear (post #5) is right when it comes to bars, parties, etc. But the question dealt with "girls" (I assume you meant young women) "passing by"—i.e., on a public street. As Dojibear goes on to explain, making remarks in such a situation is rude and offensive.
    thanks Parla for your significant post.
    it depends on 2 things, the circumstances in which words are said and how the girl perceives them, some people use pleasant words that cannot be offending but yet may not be acceptable by others, and that affects choosing a word for the act.
    now I take it that:
    1- hitting on somebody:
    to show someone that you are sexually attracted to them:Some guy hit on me while I was standing at the bar
    2-
    macking
    flirting, being ostentatious to attract member(s) of the opposite sex
    where'd those girls go? i was really mackin' it to them

3- chat sb up:
    to talk to someone in a way that shows that you aresexually attracted to them:He spent all evening chatting her up and buying her drinks
    chatting up seems to me a further step to "hitting on and macking".
    4- Advance, or making verbal advance
    an attempt to start a sexual or romanticrelationship with someone:She rejected his unwelcome advances

Alameen

Arabic
    I found one more expression that might be used for the same meaning of the topic.
    Cambridge dictionary:
    make a pass at someone:
    to speak to or touch someone in a way that shows you would like tostart a sexual relationship with them

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >