nickname for my boyfriend

lazybeagle

English - UK
I’m English and my boyfriend I am madly in love with is Polish. What are some cute names that I can call him in Polish?

• Silene Sierra

Polish
    I definitely agree. These two words sound always pretty good. When it comes to others, it depends because not everyone likes such names as "Misiaczku" which sounds a little bit funny for most people, however some couples use it.

Silene Sierra

Polish
    Indeed, "misiaczek" brings an animal to your mind :D But it may be used for anybody, actually, not only an overweight person. There are also other names like: "Słonko" which I use for my cat :D or "Kwiatuszku" which is used for women. Also "Księżniczko" for a very cute woman. However, most of them seem to be a little bit childish while "Skarbie" and "Kochanie" don't. I think the worst word for a woman (for me, actually) I've ever heard is "Myszko" - you know, the mouse :D Still some men think it is a cute name :D I can't understand why.

jasio

I'd say any of these names above - and many more - could or could not be appropriate depending on the tone of voice, intention, emotions behind, etc. Some of them may have certain connotations (for example calling an overweight woman 'kwiatuszku' or 'motylku' could be taken as a sneer). On the other hand, I know couples in which men called their spouses "gruba" ('fat') and couples in which the women called their spouses alike (or even worse). But it's the language to communicate within the couple, not with the outside world, so if both partners like or accept the word, it's no-one else's business to judge whether it's "correct" or not.

Never the less, the words proposed by @zaffy seem to be a safe choice indeed and a good starting point. Even though I personally did not use them nor even liked them, because they are cliches and you can hear them in virtually any movie. But, as I mentioned, it's a very personal topic.

Silene Sierra

Polish
    "Duży miś" was used in a Polish comedy series "Miodowe lata" for a fat man, the main character :D
    Then his wife won in horse racing by betting on the horse named "Duży miś" :D

lazybeagle

English - UK
    I find it really hard to pronounce Polish words. Are there any cute nicknames for his name? His name is Marek.

zaffy

Polish
    I find it really hard to pronounce Polish words. Are there any cute nicknames for his name? His name is Marek.
    "Mareczek". When you address him, you say "Mareczku". For example, "Mareczku, kocham cię."

Last edited:

jasio

I find it really hard to pronounce Polish words.
    In that case writing the correct pronunciation in IPA (which you may not be familiar with either) or using English spelling could be useful (in fact, quite approximate in case of the latter).

"Mareczek".
    Mah-reh-check

When you address him, you say "Mareczku". For example, "Mareczku, kocham cię."
    Mah-rech-koo, k-oh-hah-m ch-eh.

'Skarbie'
    scar-byeh

'kochanie'
    k-oh-hah-nyeh

rotan

Polish
    If your boyfriend is Polish, why not just ask him
    And if you claim you're having trouble pronouncing Polish words, he's 90% sure to correct you anyway, simply in order to actually know what you're trying to say
    I don't get this question unless it's meant to be some kind of a surprise