1. JBJohnnyB New Member

Canada - English
    Hey, i'm doing a homework assignment on a french idiomatic, but cant seeme to find its figurative meaning anywhere...

it is: un nid de poule

so far i have: a pothole (from my french-english dictionary) so i assume thats the literal meaning, but does anyone know what it means figuratively?
    thanks in advance

2. Albert 50 Senior Member

Montreal QC and Dallas TX
    Canada: French and English (bilingual)
    Hi Johnny

I'm not sure what is meant by "French idiomatic" - maybe French "idiom"...

At any rate, the literal translation of "nid de poule" is "hen's nest" (or "chicken nest" ). The figurative usage would be "pot-hole". I guess there is some similarity in the shape of a "hen's nest" and a pot-hole on the highway (though I haven't noticed one myself but....).

Albert

3. JBJohnnyB New Member

Canada - English
    thats what i meant thanks albert, also if it means pothole figureatively i need to find out what the similar expression in english is becauyse as we know not all french expressions are exactly the same as in french

4. Papymaj

Papymaj Senior Member

Liège - Belgium
    Belgium - French
    Hello,
    Some roads near my house are in bad conditions, and, especially after wintertime, they're holes that we call "nids de poule". I do hope that you have better condition in CA ;-)

5. karlsinlove

karlsinlove Senior Member

Sprimont
    French , Belgium
    haha funny that you talk about the' nid de poule" and I see you live in Liege , where I go every day for my job and I was just looking for the translation for " nid de poule" in English to explain my English and American friends what the roads look like here ! LOL =))

6. marieminou Member

French
    how would you translate "nid de poule" in English? road holes?

7. SteveD

SteveD Senior Member

Braine-l'Alleud, Belgium
    British English
    You have my sympathy: we have the same problem here. We say, "The roads are full of potholes".

8. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    The word pothole has two meanings:

Gouffre: as a synonym of swallow-hole: a cavern formed by the action of water in limestone areas, accessible from above.
    Nid-de-poule: "Unevenly shaped and sized cavity which may be formed on the surface of a road due to the removal of material by traffic." (Source: Colas bilingual dictionary)

9. karlsinlove

karlsinlove Senior Member

Sprimont
    French , Belgium
    haha , thank you =))