Niezbędnik katolika

Michelle Green

Chinese
Hi all,
Could you help me with this question?
What does "Niezbędnik katolika" mean? Does it mean Catholic essentials?
And is it grammatical?
Thank you in advance.

• haes

Polish - Poland
    Yes, kind of "essentials". "Niezbędnik" is very rare word, used mostly in military, survival or scouting context - a survival kit, something basic but very important for you to survive, to move on with your task, etc. For example - a knife + water + things to produce fire when you are in the forest. Niezbędnik podróżnika would be travellers basic equipment/essentials - a map, good shoes, raincoat etc.

While I am practicing catholic, I have never heard this term. I see in the internet it is some page with daily reading from the Bible, etc. yeap, so in this context that would be core elements for catholic faith or believer - a daily reading, a part of Gospel, etc.

Michelle Green

Chinese
    Yes, kind of "essentials". "Niezbędnik" is very rare word, used mostly in military, survival or scouting context - a survival kit, something basic but very important for you to survive, to move on with your task, etc. For example - a knife + water + things to produce fire when you are in the forest. Niezbędnik podróżnika would be travellers basic equipment/essentials - a map, good shoes, raincoat etc.

While I am practicing catholic, I have never heard this term. I see in the internet it is some page with daily reading from the Bible, etc. yeap, so in this context that would be core elements for catholic faith or believer - a daily reading, a part of Gospel, etc.
    Thank you for your help, haes. I'm clear now.

jasio

In English ' toolkit ' or "Swiss army knife" are often used in similar contexts. It's not an exact translation, but I encounter these metaphoric buzzwords for sets of basic tools, capabilities, features, competences etc. quite regularly. With the former being more popular than the latter, at least from my personal perspective.

< Previous | Next >