Ning maa?

<3mk

English - American
Hello,

I read this expression in a novel, but the character speaking it did not speak the language, only the phrase, so there is no greater context. I would really love an English translation to help gain clarity on its significance within the text.

It was written as "ning maa," but the spelling might be indicating pronunciation and, as a result, slightly off.

Thank you for any help you can provide; it's much appreciated.

• w84u

Chinese
    I don't think it looks like Chinese language. By googling, I found that ning maa mostly occurred on '.ee' sites. Does '.ee' represent Estonia? I'm not sure.

<3mk

English - American
    The character was imitating Chinese that she heard, so the words themselves might be completely different but would be pronounced as "ning maa," perhaps? Thanks for looking at it though.

w84u

Chinese
    To me, such a pronunciation makes no sense in Chinese.

'nin ma' (not "ning maa") sounds like 您嘛(as far as you are concerned) or 您吗?(you?) --I don't think it's the case.

GamblingCamel

USA English
    The character was imitating Chinese that she heard, so the words themselves might be completely different but would be pronounced as "ning maa," perhaps?
    An American who knows no Chinese might interpret NI MA as NING MAA.
    Chinese tones to a non-Chinese ear often come across as having additional sounds like "ng" and an elongated "a".

When I google "NI MA" in English, I find that it's a key part of various expressions, ranging from the obscene to the political.

<3mk: I think you'd help native Chinese speakers by giving the novel's preceding + following lines in English.

< Previous | Next >