Nip/Tuck ?

< Previous | Next >

Adamastor77

Switzerland (french) & Portugal
Hi !

What does the name of the TV show Nip/Tuck exactly mean ? The best definitions I found in the WR dictionary are:

Nip: small sharp bitting
Tuck: straight sword with a narrow blade and two edges
Are these definitions right in the context of this TV show ? For those who do not know this TV show; it is about plastic surgery.

Thanks in advance

• Kenneth Garland

UK, English
    Your definition of 'nip' is correct, but I've never heard the one for 'tuck'.

'Tuck' means 'to fold' or 'push under' - you tuck the bedclothes in when putting a child or invalid to bed.

So both words are appropriate as a slightly humorous description of plastic surgery, which cuts the flesh and tucks it in!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Unfortunately, this meaning has overtaken a rather pleasant earlier meaning of nip and tuck.
    It was a nip and tuck race - meaning it was really close right up to the finish.

whatonearth

UK, English
    Yeah, I agree with the earlier point, it is quite commonly used now as a set phrase for plastic surgery (i.e "She's had a bit of nip and tuck, hasn't she?" or an alternative "She's had a bit of work done, hasn't she?")

Sabelotodo

English, United States
    Tuck is a sewing term. It means to make a small fold and stitch it so it stays folded. In terms of plastic surgery, it means to pull the skin or flesh taught, eliminating sags or wrinkles, and suture (stitch) it so it heals in that position.

GenJen54

USA - English
    The show Nip/Tuck is about plastic surgeons.

As such, whatonearth's definition is "closest" to the actual meaning.

If you take a "nip" of something, it is making a small cut or incision. As Sabelotodo and others noted, to "tuck" is to make a small fold, in this case, skin.

It is a reference to plastic surgery.

sanspacey

Brazil Portuguese
    Niptuck is colloquial for "face lifting". That's why the tv series has been given this tittle.
    According to WordReference:

nip and tuck: plastic surgery to remove wrinkles and other signs of aging from your face; an incision is made near the hair line and skin is pulled back and excess tissue is excised; "some actresses have more than one face lift"

< Previous | Next >