nippy wicket

user_gary

Banned
India - Hindi
Tikolo’s move to field first on a nippy St Lucia wicket paid dividends early as Thomas Odoyo had Kiwi opener Lou Vincent caught by the skipper for a duck after just four balls of play.

nippy = able to change speed and direction easily.
But I don't understand `nippy wicket'
Could you explain it, please? {I know wicket is ground}

• Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    nippy can also mean biting or pinching

a wicket can also mean a gate or hoop or something. It might also be short for 'wicket-keeper'.

What game are these folks playing? I'm guessing croquet.

Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    I've been reading through several cricket dictionaries and glossaries, and 'wicket' can have a multitude of meanings. One of those meanings is 'stump' which I think is equivalent to 'base' in baseball. However, I have been unable to find "nippy wicket" in any of those dictionaries and glossaries, and I have found the phrase in only one article:

The ball was given to Gopal, he had been that kind of accurate, nippy wicket taker all year.
    from: http: //blog.360.yahoo. com/blog-Vf0ySTM8cq3jlVj7wT3D?p=11 (Remove spaces for actual address).

My guess for the meaning of 'nippy wicket' in your sentence, and this is only a guess, is that the wicket-keeper was very good at defending the 'stump' thus the wicket and its keeper was called a "nippy wicket".

We'll need a cricket player to provide you with better information. Not being a sports fan, I'm barely conversant with baseball terms much less cricket. Cricket isn't played much in the United States.

Orange Blossom

se16teddy

English - England
    I am not a particular cricket fan but I will try to explain.

As Orange Blossom says, the word 'wicket' refers to the 'base' in cricket. There are two of them, 22 feet apart. Each consists of three upright sticks (the 'stumps'), with two shorter sticks ('bails') balanced between them.

In addition to this meaning, the word 'wicket' refers to the 22 ft space between the stumps.

A member of one team propels the ball (bowls) from the vicinity of one wicket to the vicinity of the other wicket, where a member of the other team tries to hit it with the bat. Unlike in baseball, the bowler usually aims to make the ball bounce before it arrives.

There are two types of bowling expertise. A 'fast bowler' throws the ball as fast as he can. A 'spin bowler' aims to bowl the ball with a spin on it so that after it bounces it continues on its way in a direction that is difficult for the batsman to predict.

If the grass between the stumps is long or wet, this will tend to slow the ball when it bounces. If the grass is short and dry, the ball will tend to maintain its speed after it bounces. This is a fast or (informally) a 'nippy' wicket.

< Previous | Next >