Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

miri

Italian
Hello!
I'm looking for someone (Nirvana fans, maybe?) who can help me interpret the song "Smells like teen spirit". It is not easy for me :confused: and I really need a hand!
Thank you in advance:)

Smells like teen spirit (1991)

1 Load up on guns and bring your friends

It’s fun to lose and to pretend

She’s overbored and self-assured

Oh no, I know a dirty word

And here are my questions:

1) Why should young people”load up on guns”(line 1)?

2) Is the “dirty word” (l.4) referred to the girl in the previous line?

3) What is less dangerous “with the lights out” (l. 9)?

4) What do the references in lines 15-18 exemplify?

5) Why does he feel blessed for his lack of self-esteem (l.20-21)?

6) What makes him smile (l. 25)?

7) What did he find hard and what was hard to find (l. 26)?

8) What is he denying ( l. 28-29)?

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Miri: Well, MANY people have viewed your thread, but no one has answered you yet. I think this is difficult because only Kurt Cobain (the singer) really knows what his words mean. An interpretation is open, and can be very broad. An interpretation is YOUR own opinion on given material. There is no definite right or wrong answer. Personally, his lyrics have always confused me (His song Rape Me . . . ? and others).

Since this seems like a homework assignment, I suggest you give it a try, and toss your ideas at us. :)

miri

Italian
    VenusEnvy said:
    Miri: Well, MANY people have viewed your thread, but no one has answered you yet. I think this is difficult because only Kurt Cobain (the singer) really knows what his words mean. An interpretation is open, and can be very broad. An interpretation is YOUR own opinion on given material. There is no definite right or wrong answer. Personally, his lyrics have always confused me (His song Rape Me . . . ? and others).

Since this seems like a homework assignment, I suggest you give it a try, and toss your ideas at us. :)

Dear VenusEnvy!
    I've been laughing heartily since I read your last sentence because I feel like a pupil who's trying to cheat! You are right, my post seems like a student's homework assignment, instead, unfortunately, I'm the one who has to talk about the song to a group of teenagers:D ! The general topic is the age of anxieties, the point of view of the grunge generation, grunge music and of course Nirvana.
    I understand that my way of presenting the thing may look childish:) . I'll try and cope with this "assignment".
    I thank you anyway: you cheered me up and you made me feel much younger than I am;).
    Cheers

Benjy

English - English
    you might want to look here

the comments on the song dont start getting interesting until the second page. but theres 495 posts so im sure there will be at least *some* material for you to use :)

miri

Italian
    Benjy said:
    you might want to look here

the comments on the song dont start getting interesting until the second page. but theres 495 posts so im sure there will be at least *some* material for you to use :)

Hello Benjy!:)
    Thank you so much for your help and your kindness. I had a quick look at the site and there is plenty of material I can research on to gain an insight into the world of this puzzling song and to answer some of the questions I have asked myself.
    Warm regards

StrangestAngel

Ireland, English
    its about sex! obviously"With the lights out it’s less dangerous

10 Here we are now"
    incase the person is ugly and they change their mind,

"I feel stupid and contagious

Here we are now

Entertain us" she may be a prostitute as she could be contagious!
    "A denial" she/he is denying it ever happened

Status
    Not open for further replies.