No abnormalities are seen <with> superficial lymph nodes.

< Previous | Next >

thetazuo

Chinese - China
No abnormalities are seen with superficial lymph nodes.

Hi. This sentence is part of a physical examination report.

Is the preposition “with” used correctly here?
Thank you.

• Andygc

British English
    No. "In" would do, but the sentence as a whole seems a bit odd for medical English. You have not told us if this is of English-speaking origin.

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    No. "In" would do, but the sentence as a whole seems a bit odd for medical English. You have not told us if this is of English-speaking origin.
    Thank you, Andygc. It’s not of English-speaking origin. The original text is in Chinese.
    So how can I render it into proper medical English?
    Maybe “Superficial lymph nodes register no abnormalities”?

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    If the report was written using present tense throughout, "No abnormalities are found in superficial lymph nodes". I wouldn't use present tense as I'd be describing what I found in the past, so I'd suggest were. I use found not seen, because during an examination you can't see lymph nodes - the skin gets in the way. :cool: Unless, of course, this was a histological examination of a lymph node biopsy, in which case seen would be fine.

By the way, I would not use an active structure such as "superficial lymph nodes showed no abnormalities" in a report of a physical examination - the report describes what I found. Superficial lymph nodes don't wave and say "Hi, I'm showing no abnormality" they just sit there, under the skin, waiting to be poked around by doctors. :)

PS
    It really doesn't matter if you use abnormality or abnormalities if you are saying there were none.

< Previous | Next >