No comment vs. No comments

RandyBratt

RU
Hi guys,

please help: shall I use "No comment" or rather "No comments" responding for the request to actually comment on smth?
I would use No comment...

Merci

• Schintom86

English, U.S.A (Texas)
    Definitely use No Comment.

No Comment has come to be the reply of all people who don't want to screw up and say the wrong thing while being interviewed. No Comment is used even if it seems more logical to say no comments. I guess the only place where I can think of that the words "no comments" are used is in the context of a sentence like "He had no comments about the murder" or when someone is ending an address "I have no further comments." "No Comment" would only be used when someone is replying to a question that he doesn't want to answer where he woud say "I have no comment."

Capiche?

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The cliché version is definitely "No comment", not "No comments."

As I have only ever heard it in fiction, I'm curious to know if real people actually say it too:)

Kelly B

USA English
    I'd be somewhat more likely to write it than to say it, but yes, I've done both.
    ...on those ever-so-rare occasions when I actually have no opinion...

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    :eek: Clearly I must always think I have more to say than no comment:eek:

Well, I suspect it is more that in my world we usually have the time for a longer sentence and would say the same thing in rather more words. No doubt my equivalent of No Comment takes five minutes or two pages. Training for public servants includes a week-long course (residential) on how to say absolutely nothing in a great many words, leaving the reader with the sense that all has been explained to him.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    In a fight "no comments" (67,400,000 results) knocks down "no comment" (11,200,000 results).

Is "no comment" really the correct version or it's just a matter of preference?

Thanks in advance,
    Thomas

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Thomas1 said:
    In a fight "no comments" (67,400,000 results) knocks down "no comment" (11,200,000 results).

Is "no comment" really the correct version or it's just a matter of preference?

Thanks in advance,
    Thomas
    "No comment" is the correct version.

The fight is misleading because there are hundreds of sentences in which "no comments" fits perfectly. On its own, however, the singular version should be used.

< Previous | Next >