No compromise

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Masjeen

Arabic
    It means "without agreement".

The word I am looking to write in arabic is "No Compromise".
    No Compromise =لا يوجد اتفاق (بيننا) ـ = there is no agreement (between us)

there is = يوجد
    no = لا
    agreement = اتفاق

Last edited:

Logos1

English
    Just like that without further context, I would go for لا تسوية.
    Can you break the words down for that لا تسوية? The translation softwares brought it out as "Not a settlement" another brought it our as "Do not settle"

The word compromise dosent exist in arabic? What is the closest that comes to saying "No Compromise"?

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    There is, but it depends on the English meaning, that's why we ALWAYS need context.

According to Merriam Webster, the noun "Compromise" in English has three meanings given as follows:

a : settlement of differences by arbitration or by consent reached by mutual concessions
    b : something intermediate between or blending qualities of two different things
    : a concession to something derogatory or prejudicial <a compromise of principles>

I would use the following words for the meanings: for 1-a I would use تسوية; for 1-b I would use حل وسط; for 2 I would use تنازل or تعريض or تعرّض or فضح or other words depending on context.

Keep in mind that words in English have several meanings, words in Arabic also have several meanings. That's why we need more context to be able to give you the exact meaning you need.

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    The word compromise dosent exist in arabic? What is the closest that comes to saying "No Compromise"?
    Languages do not often have one to one correlations of vocabulary, most certainly not higher register vocabulary like the word "compromise."

Definitions of compromise (the noun) in English:
    1) A settlement of differences by mutual agreement
    2) The result of such a settlement
    3) An intermediate option between different possibilities
    4) Endangering of one's reputation, exposure to danger or suspicion

I can construct four sentences, one with each meaning:

1) We will have no compromise regarding the price of this television. It is firmly $240 dollars. (the act of settling/agreeing to a settlement)
    2) There was no compromise after many meetings and deliberations regarding the terms of the treaty. (the actual agreement or result of settlements)
    3) Well you can have either vanilla ice cream or chocolate ice cream. It's one or the other; there's no compromise. (intermediate option)
    4) I will accept no compromise to my integrity in this company. I blatantly deny all charges that I have committed fraud. (an exposure to danger regarding one's reputation)

As you can see, all four meanings are slightly different and could have different renditions in Arabic. I could use اتفاق for number 2 but not for number 4, etc.

Moderator's Note:

More importantly, providing context for translation requests is a rule of the forums. I'm sure that you have taken time to review the rules however if context is not provided, I will close this thread.

Regards,

clevermizo
    Moderator.

Last edited:

Logos1

English
    the best context I can come up with would be 2 fighting factions. Like say North vs South Korea.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >