no credit cards under $X

< Previous | Next >

KennyHun

Hungarian
Hi everyone,

At a bar, there is a sign stating that they only take your credit card if your check is for more than $X (let's say, I don't know, $10).
What would be the most likely solution?

No credit cards/we don't take credit cards (for) under $10 / for less than $10 / for payments of less than $10 / for amounts of less than $10.
Which one do you think would be the best fit? What would you say (write) - maybe something completely different?

Thanks in advance!

:)

• Packard

USA, English
    "Credit card minimum $10" would be common.
    That seems to be the standard.

The rate the restaurant/bar pays for the credit card transactions are based upon the average transaction size. So if the transaction size were to diminish then they would have to pay a higher rate.

Most credit card companies prohibit the practice of limiting transaction size. The rule seems to be universally ignored.

Language Hound

American English
    ...Most credit card companies prohibit the practice of limiting transaction size. The rule seems to be universally ignored.
    Actually, in the U.S., "all merchants are legally able to impose a minimum purchase, up to $10, for customers paying by credit card, under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. Dodd-Frank was signed into law in December 2010. The minimum must be the same for all credit card issuers and payment card networks." Source

Packard

USA, English
    Actually, in the U.S., "all merchants are legally able to impose a minimum purchase, up to $10, for customers paying by credit card, under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. Dodd-Frank was signed into law in December 2010. The minimum must be the same for all credit card issuers and payment card networks." Source
    As I mentioned, the credit card companies outlaw the practice but it seems universal anyhow.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    In the UK, it's termed a "minimum spend" and £5 seems to be the usual threshold.

I know this used to apply at my local Co-op store, but when I asked in there the other day what the minimum was for paying with a card (there was no notice on display) the shop assistant said there wasn't one. So it may be that they're becoming less common over here nowadays.

< Previous | Next >