no da para más

hfpardue

United States - English
La frase es

28 personalidades de diferentes sectores políticos coinciden en que la actual institucionalidad de Codelco "no da para más" y quieren que sea "la gran empresa transnacional de Chile."

No entiendo eso de "no da para más". ¿Significa que la actual institucionalidad de Codelco ya no es productora? Muchas gracias.

• hfpardue

United States - English
    Perfecto. No había oído esta expresión. Sin embargo, no sé si entiendo por completo. ¿Se te ocurre un sinónimo de "no da para más" en la frase que pegué?

Last edited:

JazzRock

Chile / Español
    No da para más = no resiste más

...la actual institucionalidad de Codelco no da para más... = ...Codelco's current institutionality (institutional nature?) does not resist any more (any longer?)....

Hope it helps!
    ;)

Búkarus

Colombia, castellano
    Hi!
    No dar para más = to be not enough.
    No dar más = to not resist any longer.

I think the expression you asked about is used mainly in colloquial contexts —that explains the quotation marks— to mean:

1. There's nothing else to expect from somebody or something.
    Su institucionalidad no da para más.
    Literally: Its instutionality cannot give anything else
    Suggestion: Its instutionality can't offer better results.

2. Somebody/something doesn't have what it takes to achieve a purpose:
    La institucionalidad no da para más.
    Literally: The instutionality is not enough for more.
    Suggestion: Its instutionality is not as suitable [as for higher purposes].

More examples:
    ¡Ah, claro, la comida sí da para otro invitado! = Oh, sure, the food is actually enough for another guest!
    El bolsillo no me da para tanto. = My pocket can't afford such a cost.
    Mi amor da para eso y hasta más. = My love is enough for that and even more.

I hope this helps
    Bye.

hfpardue

United States - English
    No da para más = no resiste más

...la actual institucionalidad de Codelco no da para más... = ...Codelco's current institutionality (institutional nature?) does not resist any more (any longer?)....

Hope it helps!
    ;)
    Thanks a lot, JazzRock. I appreciate your help too, Búkarus. By the way, institutionality is not a word. anymore is usually written as one word in the US. any longer and anymore are synonyms in this case, but any longer sounds better to me, but both are perfect and used all the time. I'm still not able to come up with a clean English translation. At the moment this is my best attempt:

...the present stucture of Codelco is no longer sufficient

JazzRock

Chile / Español
    The problem is that by using "sufficient" you give the idea of "capacity of producing money" or similar stuff. The idea of "no da para más" is more about "not resisting any longer under certain conditions (administration, corruption, etc.)" than about being sufficient.

Regards! ;)

hfpardue

United States - English
    The problem is that by using "sufficient" you give the idea of "capacity of producing money" or similar stuff. The idea of "no da para más" is more about "not resisting any longer under certain conditions (administration, corruption, etc.)" than about being sufficient.

Regards! ;)
    Good point. Perhaps it could be

the present structure of Codelco can no longer survive

JazzRock

Chile / Español
    Good point. Perhaps it could be

the present structure of Codelco can no longer survive
    That is closer to the spanish idea.
    Personally, I would use "the present institutional structure of Codelco can no longer resist"
    But.... you are the native. Anyway, let us know your final decision, so that we can learn from that.
    And, if you can, please give me a hand with this:
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=973199
    Good luck! ;)

hfpardue

United States - English
    That is closer to the spanish idea.
    Personally, I would use "the present institutional structure of Codelco can no longer resist"
    But.... you are the native. Anyway, let us know your final decision, so that we can learn from that.
    Good luck! ;)
    resist is not a bad word. It might be the best translation. It's just that it sounds strange to me so say that Codelco can't resist without saying what it is that it can't resist. In English I wouldn't just say that something can't resist. I would have to say what it is that it can't resist or explain myself a little bit.

< Previous | Next >