no driving in they went headed for this tragedy

< Previous | Next >

ShareisBeauty

Chinese
Grammatically confused, need a paraphrase. Thanks "no driving in they went headed for this tragedy <——-Original thread title added to post by moderator (Florentia52)——->

I wanted them to take my advice but no driving in they went headed for this tragedy- if only they had said- Let's drop the idea now and in the autumn we'll discuss it again
My paraphrase: Hope they listen to me and they had better not get involved in the tragedy?
I am confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • ShareisBeauty

Chinese
    Edward III is to resign for his marriage of a married woman (violation of constitution). His woman now staying in Paris is puruading her "husband" to stay on the throne. Legal annulment is also involved in the case. Her letter to Sibyl is grammar-too-terse. Hence that sentence needs a clarification. Thanks.

Larger context for paraphrase

<…>On 18 December, after the abdication, she (Wallis Simpson) wrote to Lady Colefax:

I still can't write about it all because I am afraid of not conveying the true facts -- as brain is so very tired from the struggle - of the past two weeks - the screaming of a thousand plans to London, to pleading to lead him and not to force him. <…> I wanted them to take my advice but no driving in they went headed for this tragedy- if only they had said- Let's drop the idea now and in the autumn we'll discuss it again - and Sibyl darling in the autumn I could have been so very far away -I had already escaped - some day if we ever meet I shall tell you all. <——-Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)——->

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You still have not provided your source. Is this from a book? If so, which book? By whom?

(Also, you mean Edward VIII, not Edward III.)

ShareisBeauty

Chinese
    Sorry . Now the text source A. N. Wilson After Victorians chapt the abdication (p 344 Now I am reading)

< Previous | Next >