(no food effect)/(food effect)...

< Previous | Next >

Simin93

Persian-Iran
Hi there
Could you please help me out?
I think author should write this way, please pay attention to underlined part in original text and highlighted parts in my edition.

Original text: Krebs investigated experimental plots in Canada’s Yukon territory that contained hare populations. When food was added to those plots (no food effect) and predators were excluded (no predator effect) from an experimental area, hare numbers increased tenfold and stayed there—the cycle was lost. However, the cycle was retained if either of the factors was allowed to operate alone: if predators were excluded but food was not added (food effect alone), or if food was added in the presence of predators (predator effect alone).

My edition: Krebs investigated experimental plots in Canada’s Yukon territory that contained hare populations. When food was added to those plots (food effect) and predators were excluded (no predator effect) from an experimental area, hare numbers increased tenfold and stayed there—the cycle was lost. However, the cycle was retained if either of the factors was allowed to operate alone: if predators were excluded but food was added (food effect alone), or if food was not added in the presence of predators (predator effect alone).

Reference: Sample of TOEFL Exam

Thank you in advance

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    No, the original is correct.

In the natural environment, you have predators and not much food. Krebs tested two alterations to the natural state: (1) excluding predators, and (2) adding food. He tried them both together, and he also tried them separately: 1 but not 2; and 2 but not 1.

So you can see that your version "if predators were excluded but food was added" means both modifications 1 and 2, and your other attempt "if food was not added in the presence of predators" means neither modification 1 nor 2. But these are wrong, because the author is trying to talk about the situations in which only one of the two modifications was made.

< Previous | Next >