no free will <in><for> coming to the world

Hoojan

Persian
Which one is correct?

My essay criticizes the fact that mankind has no free will in / for coming to the world.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    How do you criticise 'the fact that....'? - if it is indeed a fact. Do you mean you are criticising "someone's claim that [we are born with no free will ??] Or are you saying that we have no choice about being born [but how do you criticise that]?

Hoojan

Persian
    How do you criticise 'the fact that....'? - if it is indeed a fact. Do you mean you are criticising "someone's claim that ...."
    This is a fact that we are born without being asked if we want to experience life but this does not mean we cannot talk about it critically.

Last edited by a moderator:

anthox

English - Northeast US
    I agree with others that the meaning of the sentence is unclear.

You might say: "This essay criticizes the fact that individuals are unable to choose whether they will be born into the world."

How exactly your criticism will play out, I have no idea, as this strikes me as a natural phenomenon. Whom/what is there to criticize? An individual who does not yet exist cannot have a choice, and to choose not to be born prior to being born is paradoxical, because one must exist to do that. These matters go beyond the scope of this forum, however.

heypresto

English - England
    The trouble with using 'criticise' is that it implies that you believe this 'fact' is a bad or faulty fact. Better would be something like 'examine' or 'discuss'.

< Previous | Next >