No giving up the ghost on me

< Previous | Next >

Dobrik

Russian
Good day,
I have the question about the phrase "giving up the ghost". I've seen the post about the same phrase, but my case is kind of different from that.
So, I'm interested in the meaning of the phrase "No giving up the ghost on me!"

Thanks to this forum, I know the meaning of the "give up the ghost", but I'm still not sure what does it mean in this context.
Hope for your help.

• anthox

English - Northeast US
    It's like saying, "Don't die on me!" This is kind of a set phrase. The "on me" here suggests that the individual speaking is intent on keeping the dying person alive, whether by actively applying life-saving measures, or simply due to emotional attachment to the person. Sort of like, "Don't die, because I need you to stay alive!"

Dobrik

Russian
    But you haven't given us any context. Or a complete sentence.
    So. The full sentence sounds like "No giving up the ghost on me."
    That is the full phrase of the character. The characters are arguing and then, the first character, during the conversation, completely gives up with his argument losing his belief in "good" and pretends to die. Based on what, the second character says, "No giving up the ghost on me."

It's like saying, "Don't die on me!" This is kind of a set phrase. The "on me" here suggests that the individual speaking is intent on keeping the dying person alive, whether by actively applying life-saving measures, or simply due to emotional attachment to the person. Sort of like, "Don't die, because I need you to stay alive!"
    Oh, that makes so much sense now for me. I was really confused with this "on me". Thank you.

Myridon

English - US
    The addition of "on me" means something like "in a way that affects me personally/directly."
    My car broke down. Fortunately, I don't need to go anywhere today.
    My car broke down on me. I really needed it. I had to take the bus and I was late for a meeting.

< Previous | Next >