no han sido/estado involucrado

canciónparati

USA
English - US
Hola amigos, y gracias antemano por tu ayuda. I would like to say "A committee of one or more staff members who have not been involved in the issue…", and I am uncertain as to whether I should use "ser" or "estar" in this instance. Mi intento: " Un comité compuesto por uno o más miembros del personal que no han sido involucrados en el asunto…

I thought that the expression "have been + participle" is translated as "han sido + participio", but a native Latino speaker recently corrected me to say that I should use "han estado + participio".

¿Tus opiniones?

• S.V.

Español, México
    I believe both options would be possible, depending on the context.

Alguien que (no) estuvo involucrado en...
    = He had an involvement... En un [estado] de involucración.
    He himself decided to be involved​

Alguien que (no) fue involucrado en...
    = He was involved... Involucrado as a participle, in a pasive construction.
    Someone else involved him. He was the [object] of involvement.

In your sentence we would probably use estar, yes. Involved would be an adjective: People involved in...

canciónparati

USA
    English - US
    S.V., ¡que interesante! Yo no lo había pensado en eso, pero sí, los dos son posibles, dependiendo en el contexto, como dices tú. Gracias por tu ayuda.

levmac

British English
    I think this can be tough for English speakers, but I try and think of the first one as being like an adjective - along the lines of he was interested/bored/tired - and the second one really implies an action was done to him.

canciónparati

USA
    English - US
    Hola levmac y aztlaniano, y gracias por sus respuestas. I've been traveling and haven't been able to respond until now.

In fact, this group of people compose a committee responsible for reviewing the facts, medical history, etc. leading to the denial of coverage for a particular treatment for an insured person who has registered his complaint with the insurance company (about being denied that coverage). Thus the "issue" is the original decision now under review. These committee members were not involved in the original decision to deny the benefits, so they are supposedly providing a fresh set of eyes, in order to ensure fairness. Based on this information, would "que no han estado involucrados" still be the better choice?