No hay poronga que le venga bien

Gabriel

Argentina / Español
I'd be embarrassed to explain what this phrase means literally.

Let's just say that it it is said about persons that are hard to please and bears the same meaning and tone than "Es como la gata Flora: cuando se la ponen, grita; cuando se la sacan, llora".

Is there any idiom in English to express this kind of utter non-conformism?

EDIT: Oh, well... "There's no dick that suits him/her"

• Alisterio

UK English
    Tenemos la misma expresión en México: "No se le acomoda ningún chile." No creo que se pueda traducir de forma literal al inglés, y tampoco se me ocurre una frase inglesa igual de "folclórica", digamos. Tendrías que decir "He/She is always bitching / complaining" o "He/She is never happy". Si lo quieres subir un poco de tono, siempre existe la opción de incluir la famosa "fucking": "She's never fucking happy", "He's always fucking complaining", etc.

Gabriel

Argentina / Español
    The context is that I was talking about aircraft safety with a pilot.
    When talking about old accidents, he said that in those days the systems were very complex, the interface very poor, and there was very little automation, so the pilot got overloaded, missed important data and failed in judgement due to task saturation.
    Then we discussed about a recent incident where the pilots missed that the plane was not in the right automation mode and was loosing speed. He went on to explain how the system became so good that they become used to them working ok and that made very hard to detect this sort of departures.

So I wanted to say: "If it the pilot has to do many things it's overload and task saturation. If the system is very automated and reliable, it's boredom and complacence. ¡A ustedes no hay poronga que les venga bien!"

gengo

American English
    Great context. In that case, my suggestion above works: There's just no pleasing you guys!

By the way, is the incident you mention the crash at San Francisco Airport? The pilots there relied on the autopilot and didn't notice that they were at too low a speed and crashed on the runway.

Gabriel

Argentina / Español
    Thanks Gengo,

No, it was a minor incident in Australia, where the pilots were climbing in an unintended (but suitable) autoflight mode that, unlike the intended autoflight mode, would have required them to adjust the speed once along the climb (at 10000ft, something that the intended autoflight mode would have done by itself). So they kept climbing for some 10 minutes at a speed that was below normal and decaying, and along these 10 minutes they detected neither that the autoflight mode was not the intended one nor that the speed was abnormally slow. They only noticed the mistake when they received a low speed warning and the envelope protection activated with the autopilot lowering the nose to preserve speed even when it meant departing from the objective that it was tracking (it was tracking a fixed Mach number, but as you climb at constant Mach number the equivalent airspeed diminishes).

But, for the sake of this thread, it could have been the Asiana accident that you mention, although in my opinion "relied on the autopilot and didn't notice that they were at too low a speed" is a gross understatement :).

gengo

American English
    Gabriel, tengo que darte mis más sinceras felicitaciones por tu excelente dominio de inglés. Escribes totalmente como un angloparlante nativo, a pesar de que el tema aquí no es nada fácil.

Gabriel

Argentina / Español
    Gabriel, tengo que darte mis más sinceras felicitaciones por tu excelente dominio de inglés. Escribes totalmente como un angloparlante nativo, a pesar de que el tema aquí no es nada fácil.
    ¿No es nada fácil? Entonces no eres un ingeniero aeronáutico, piloto privado, y fanático de los aviones como yo. ;)
    Ah, ¡gracias! Pero mi inglés no se compara con tu español. (Bueno, sí se compara: comparado con tu español, mi inglés es mucho peor :D )