No human eye can isolate the unhappy coincidence of line and place which suggests evil in the face of a house

vkhu

Vietnamese
No human eye can isolate the unhappy coincidence of line and place which suggests evil in the face of a house, and yet somehow a maniac juxtaposition, a badly turned angle, some chance meeting of roof and sky, turned Hill House into a place of despair, more frightening because the face of Hill House seemed awake, with a watchfulness from the blank windows and a touch of glee in the eyebrow of a cornice.
I'm a bit confused as to how the first part of this sentence should be interpreted. I'm currently understanding it as "it's impossible for any human being to accidentally see a house's face as evil," but something just sound off. People see faces pop up in random object all the time, with all sort of emotions. Why is it improbable to see a house face as evil? I have personally saw several houses that looks straight out of a Lovecraft's story.

Is there any other way to interpret that part? Also, if the author is describing a house's face, why is the word place, well, placed there?

Source: The Haunting of Hill House

• Chasint

English - England
    ... I'm currently understanding it as "it's impossible for any human being to accidentally see a house's face as evil," ... :cross:
    Your interpretation is incorrect.

Original
    No human eye can isolate the unhappy coincidence of line and place which suggests evil in the face of a house ...

Paraphrase
    It is impossible for the human mind to say why a house looks evil simply by analysing its appearance in terms of lines or environment.

< Previous | Next >