no les da para más

mancunienne girl

English - England
"Y los andaluces aparte de vagos también tienen la mania de decir “tu puta madre” ? claro…no les da para más"

He leído esta frase en un foro defendiendo el carácter de los andaluces contra insultos de este tipo, pero no logro a traducir la parte en rojo. ¿Hay alguien que me pueda ayudar? ¡Gracias!

• Wandering JJ

British English
    'No dar para más' means 'to be to no avail/to be of no use' - of course, it's of no use to them.

I must confess to not understanding what is being said! I only know 'de puta madre' [f***ing great!] - not 'tu puta madre'.

It's taken from a 'let's knock the Andalucians' blog based on tweets!

mancunienne girl

English - England
    Hi Wandering JJ,

Yes, it was a comment found in the rude tweets in response to the Pope stating Andalucians could have been the original Three Wise Kings. Some of the comments were simply venomous. I can;t quite work out the construction from "dar" though, as it's in the third person singular??

Lurrezko

Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    Syd tiene el sentido correcto, en mi opinión. Está tácita la idea de entendimiento/racioninio, etc. El entendimiento no les da para más, sólo les alcanza para eso. Es una manera desdeñosa de decir que son incultos, ignorantes, etc.

Un saludo

SydLexia

UK English
    It's an understood 'brain/head'.

"(La cabeza) no les da para más." (that's all they can stretch to/they can't get any further than that)

syd

loudspeaker

British English
    "Y los andaluces aparte de vagos también tienen la mania de decir “tu puta madre” ? claro…no les da para más"

He leído esta frase en un foro defendiendo el carácter de los andaluces contra insultos de este tipo, pero no logro a traducir la parte en rojo. ¿Hay alguien que me pueda ayudar? ¡Gracias!
    ¿Qué parte en rojo? :confused:

'No les da para más' exactamente lo que ha sugerido Syd (that's all they can come up with).

No les (a ellos) da (la imaginación) para más.

JmPor

Spanish - Spain
    "No les da para más" is the same as "No dan para más". In this occasion, a person wants to get things clear with Andalucians, you know, throwing some clichés about them. Giving general rude opinions about them. SydLexia's made a good point; that's the sense of the sentence, that's the intention.

Lazy, always getting away from their responsibilities, often not considered as serious people; "that's all they can do, all they can come up with", they're always drinking a couple of "cañas" while sitting in a terrace on another sunny day. They use to swear all the time and they like flamenco quite a lot.

It's all about some ugly clichés the Andalucians got here in Spain. I'd say unfortunately, because those aren't true, but they cope with all that stuff. The truth is in Andalucia, is common to hear "me cago en tu puta madre" o "me cago en tus muertos". The second one is one of the worst things you can say to an Andalucian. But, you know, Andalucians are always joking and they use different intonations when using those expressions. They're not always as bad as I'm telling. I suppose that's one of many reasons they say Andalusia is a different place.

< Previous | Next >