No matter how

1lightinthedark

American English
Hello everyone! I would like to know to say the phase, "no matter how..." For example, "I love advice no matter how much it may hurt my pride." I looked through the dictionaries and I was unable to find this phrase. Thank you so much!

• gvozd

I love advice no matter how much it may hurt my pride. I suppose that there many possibilities to express this idea in Russian. Here is one for example.

Я люблю спрашивать совета, как бы ни страдала от этого моя гордость.

Syline

Russian
    There is no set expression for this phrase. Translation will depend on the context.

My variant:
    Я люблю, когда мне дают советы, в независимости от того, насколько сильно это может уязвить мою гордость.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    There is no set expression for this phrase. Translation will depend on the context.

My variant:
    Я люблю, когда мне дают советы, в независимости вне зависимости от того, насколько сильно это может уязвить мою гордость.
    When you advise someone on the use of a language, you need to watch your grammar.

It is "вне зависимости"

Syline

Russian
    morzh

You're absolutely right, of course.

Даже не верится, что я так написала. Вот позор-то )

Albertovna

Russian - Russia
    Also:
    мне нравится
    просить совета/обращаться за советом
    , даже если от этого пострадает моё самолюбие
    , пусть/пускай даже (это будет) в ущерб моей гордости (моему самолюбию)

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    I still like несмотря and даже если the most. They both sound very natural. I think несмотря на это как may well mean no matter how hard.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    No. It may be some kind of an influence, though. This construction would not make any sense in Polish. It would be: Niezaleznie od tego...

Last edited:

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Close to Ukrainian (незалэжность - независимость).

But I was talking of "то / это". In Polish it is "то", right?

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    I don't know Morzh. I have to think about the Polish example. I do not speak any Ukrainian, so I really cannot tell.
    Different things influence my languages, depending on what I do at the time; which language I use the most at the time.

< Previous | Next >