no matter what their job ''is/are''

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi all

Just tell her that the way she acts really troubles you. Tell her you believe it's important to show respect to others, no matter what their job is.

When I first read the part highlighted, I thought it should be no matter what their job are, because others is correspond to their in this context. Is my understanding wrong?

Thanks.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... no matter what their job is.
    ... no matter what colour their eyes are.
    ... no matter who their father is.
    ... no matter who their friends are.

The verb agrees with the red noun.
    Each of them has one job (let's say), one father; and more than one eye, more than one friend.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    ... no matter what their job is.
    ... no matter what colour their eyes are.
    ... no matter who their father is.
    ... no matter who their friends are.

The verb agrees with the red noun.
    Each of them has one job (let's say), one father; and more than one eye, more than one friend.

I got your point, panjandrum. It's very explicit.:)

coiffe

USA
    American English
    Hi all

Just tell her that the way she acts really troubles you. Tell her you believe it's important to show respect to others, no matter what their job is.

When I first read the part highlighted, I thought it should be no matter what their job are, because others is correspond to their in this context. Is my understanding wrong?

Thanks.

You could (and probably should) say "no matter what their jobs are." Some might prefer this construction to "no matter what their job is," as the latter implies that all the people she interacts with hold the same job. Your question is good because you picked up on the inconsistency between (plural) others and (singular) job. Do all those people have the same job? Not likely.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    You could (and probably should) say "no matter what their jobs are." Some might prefer this construction to "no matter what their job is," as the latter implies that all the people she interacts with hold the same job. Your question is good because you picked up on the inconsistency between (plural) others and (singular) job. Do all those people have the same job? Not likely.

Thank you, coiffe.:)