No matter what (will) happen(s), we will stick to the plan.

ritter66

Czech
Hello all!

- No matter what happens, we will stick to the plan.

Could I use "will" in this sentence too?

- No matter what will happen, we will stick to the plan.

I was told it is idiomatic not to use "will" after "no matter" structures. However, my teacher added that in longer sentences with "no matter" will would be fine. What do you think?

Thank you!

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It is not idiomatic to use « will » here. I’m not sure what your teacher had in mind in saying that it would be okay in « longer sentences »

lingobingo

English - England
    No matter what happens is the standard way to say this. Adding will is at best unidiomatic and at worst incorrect, and the length of the sentence does not alter that fact.

However, according to the context, and the syntax, you could conceivably say no matter what may/might happen

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I agree with the others. I just only wanted to add that it is also idiomatic to just say 'no matter what' (or more traditionally 'come what may') on its own.

We will stick to the plan, no matter what.
    We will stick to the plan, come what may.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    The future is possible where 'no matter what' introduces a noun phrase - no matter what their age, the children will be awestruck

- but I can't see it working in any of the instances presented here where it introduces a clause.

In those circumstances if often acts like 'if' in a conditional sentence - no matter what happened, we would get the washing done (sequence of tenses like a II conditional).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >