no matter what

boggiee

Turkish
Hi,

-I will eat whatever you give me. :thumbsup:

-I will eat no matter what you give me. :thumbsdown:

I know second sentence is wrong, but I wonder if it is going to be wrong or not when I insert a pronoun in that sentence such as 'them, it'?

-I will eat them/it no matter what you give me. (IS IT OK?)

Thanks you.

• Biffo

English - England
    The second sentence is correct. It just doesn't mean what you think it means.

The third sentence is incorrect. You must change the word order, "No matter what you give me, I will eat it."

boggiee

Turkish
    Thanks for the answer, but I couldn't understand why you said I must change the word order for the third one. What if I put a comma?

I will eat it, no matter what you give me.

Biffo

English - England
    Thanks for the answer, but I couldn't understand why you said I must change the word order for the third one. What if I put a comma?

Although that sentence is grammatically correct, there is a problem because we don't know what "it" refers to. The word "it" requires an antecedent in this sort of sentence.

Example

Mother: I am going out for a few minutes. Do not eat this cake.
    Child: But I want to eat it.
    Mother: I will give you a toy if you promise not to eat it.
    Child: I will eat it, no matter what you give me.

Whether or not the above scenario is realistic, you can see that "it" refers to "the cake" whereas the thing being given is a toy.

dn88

Polish

I think that sentence can be fixed by reversing the order:

No matter what you give me, I will eat it.

Even though it can still technically mean "I will eat it, no matter what you give me.".

< Previous | Next >