No me gusta que la gente destruye/destruya (subjunctive)

< Previous | Next >

Loly101

US - ENGLISH
A colleague and I are disagreeing on the following sentence:

No me gusta que la gente destruye el bosque. [I say it is correct because the people do it and therefore it's not that they might do it.]

I say it is correct. He says it should be subjunctive:

No me gusta que la gente destruya el bosque.

• SevenDays

Spanish
    A colleague and I are disagreeing on the following sentence:

No me gusta que la gente destruye el bosque. [I say it is correct because the people do it and therefore it's not that they might do it.]

I say it is correct. He says it should be subjunctive:

No me gusta que la gente destruya el bosque.
    Pragmatically (for the purposes of discourse), the meaning of "gustar" (a verb of emotion, originating from "within" the speaker), takes precedence over the factuality of what people do; thus, the subjunctive, in that and other contexts: me gusta que vengas a verme; no me gusta que cantes en la ducha; no le gusta que la toquen.

donbill

English - American
    Me gusta que and No me gusta que are reactions to a situation, evaluative statements regarding the situation. The verb in the clause they're reacting to or evaluating is subjunctive.

(No) me gusta que la gente destruya el bosque. (No) es terrible, (No) es aceptable, (No) es razonable, etc.

chileno

Castellano - Chile
    Me gusta que and No me gusta que are reactions to a situation, evaluative statements regarding the situation. The verb in the clause they're reacting to or evaluating is subjunctive.

(No) me gusta que la gente destruya el bosque. (No) es terrible, (No) es aceptable, (No) es razonable, etc.
    Totalmente correcto. Yo estaba mostrando que se puede decir de la manera que puse....pero significa otra cosa, o más bien para que el OP se de cuenta de como se usa el indicativo.

< Previous | Next >