no news is good news

azz

armenian
a. No news is good news.

To me that always meant that if the news is that there is no news, then the news is good.

I basically read it as
b. "No news" is good news.

But it could also be read as meaning

c. There isn't any news that is good news.

Am I correct or have I misunderstood something here.

Many thanks.

• S1m0n

English
    Yes, it means that 'news' is usually bad. If you don't hear about something, it is probably going well. This might not be true, but it is what the saying says.

kentix

English - U.S.
    But it's not ambiguous in general use. It has a commonly understood meaning (your first one).

manfy

German - Austria
    But it's not ambiguous in general use.
    But that depends on what use is "general" for you.
    I know it primarily as a deliberately ambiguous expression. I've even seen it on TV that way - sometimes they spell it out in a subtle way, some other times they show the intended ambiguity through body language.

sdgraham

USA English
    Yes, it means that 'news' is usually bad. If you don't hear about something, it is probably going well. This might not be true, but it is what the saying says.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Absolutely!!
    Unfortunately, the majority of news reports are concerned with thing that go wrong.
    Ordinarily, things go as planned, but when they do not, that's news.
    The example that I've used over the years in the news business, is that when you walk out to your car in the morning and find that all four wheels are attached and the tires (BE:tyres) are inflated, you do not consider this worthy of a news bulletin.:rolleyes:

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's frequently used in this form.

"Have you heard from John? He's flying back home today?"
    "No, I haven't."
    "Well, let's hope no news is good news. If his flight was delayed, he probably would have called."

< Previous | Next >