'no one can live' or 'no one cannot live'

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    No one who has seen what's happening there can live to tell about it! :tick:

Some people have seen what's happening. None of those people can be allowed to live and tell about it. (All the people who have seen what is happening must be killed.)

hhtt

Turkish
    No one who has seen what's happening there can live to tell about it! :tick:

Some people have seen what's happening. None of those people can be allowed to live and tell about it. (All the people who have seen what is happening must be killed.)
    But what's if we say "no one ... cannot live" ?

Thank you.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    We wouldn't say "No one cannot live...", but it would be an awkward and weird way of saying "Everyone can live..."

hhtt

Turkish
    I like the sentence as is. Your 'improvement' is not right. It would have to be, "Anyone who has seen it cannot (be allowed to) live."

x-posted with Velisarius.
    I ask for clarification that could you say "I like the sentence as to be" instead "I like the sentence as is".

Thank you.

Last edited:
    I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking if I could have said, "I like the sentence as to be"?
    No, that's not grammatical.

Is it clear that there are two ways:

"No one [person] who has seen what's happening there can [be allowed to] live."

"Everyone {or 'anyone'} who has seen what's happening cannot [be allowed to] live."

I ask for clarification that could you "I like the sentence as to be" instead "I like the sentence as is".

Thank you.
    '

hhtt

Turkish
    I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking if I could have said, "I like the sentence as to be"?
    No, that's not grammatical.'
    Does "I am not sure I follow" refer to "I am not sure I understand the question" ?

Thank you.

< Previous | Next >