no one else was even asking the questions

danalto

Italy - Italian
Hello, WR. From The Fosters: we are talking about J. Kerouac's "On The Road" -- I don't understand why "no one ELSE"

GARRET They had a lot to be angry about. They were looking for answers and no one else was even asking the questions.
GARRET Avevano mille motivi per essere arrabbiati. Cercavano risposte e nessuno (nessun altro???) faceva neppure le domande.

There's something wrong, here...

Thanks!
:D

• WordsWordWords

Am English
    Hi Danalto,

"No one else" means no one other than them -- it emphasizes a sort of isolation of subject "they".

"Loro cercavano le risposte ma nessuno altro nemmeno si interessava alle domande" (in my poor Italian... :()

danalto

Italy - Italian
    Hi Danalto,

"No one else" means no one other than them -- it emphasizes a sort of isolation of subject "they".

"Loro cercavano le risposte ma nessuno altro nemmeno si interessava alle domande" (in my poor Italian... :()
    Well, then...
    --nessuno oltre a loro/nessuno a parte loro si faceva le domande. (meaning "loro erano gli unici che si facevano le domande")
    :) Grazie!

WordsWordWords

Am English
    (Forgive me but I haven't read Kerouac; he's never appealed to me, so maybe I need a bit more context... ;))

But, my instincts say it is less literal than you are seeing it. I would say the comment means that "they" are noting that they were trying to find a solution for a situation that hadn't even yet been established. They were out there ahead of everyone else, before everyone else, they saw the picture better. The others (whoever they are) don't "get it", or don't care about getting it.

I don't know if this helps....

danalto

Italy - Italian
    (Forgive me but I haven't read Kerouac; he's never appealed to me, so maybe I need a bit more context... ;))

But, my instincts say it is less literal than you are seeing it. I would say the comment means that "they" are noting that they were trying to find a solution for a situation that hadn't even yet been established. They were out there ahead of everyone else, before everyone else, they saw the picture better. The others (whoever they are) don't "get it", or don't care about getting it.

I don't know if this helps....
    Yes, that's it. :)
    Grazie, WWW!

Danieloid

Italiano
    Cercavano risposte a domande che soltanto loro (si) facevano.
    Come ti sembra? Certo, il concetto che gli altri non si fanno quelle domande perché sono più "indietro" non è immediatamente percepibile, ma non credo lo sia neanche nella battuta originale, perlomento non se estrapolata.
    Oppure, ancora più liberamente e cercando di far emergere il concetto di "avanguardia" già all'interno della battuta:
    Cercavano risposte a domande che gli altri non si sognavano neanche di fare.

WordsWordWords

Am English
    Hi Danieloid,

...il concetto che gli altri non si fanno quelle domande perché sono più "indietro" non è immediatamente percepibile,ma non credo lo sia neanche nella battuta originale, perlomeno non se estrapolata
    Sorry, but I believe you are mistaken. To a native speaker this idiomatic phrase implies that the speaker is complaining that they have understood a situation that others are not even aware of -- this is really clear to me. I had a look on the Internet and found the script for the episode in question (though there's no indication of who speaks or when the scenes change, so it's not perfectly clear):

http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=the-fosters&episode=s01e05

A: On the Road is like a classic.
    B: It's just I don't know, I feel like everyone was kind of selfish, and just angry and didn't care about anyone else.
    A: They had a lot to be angry about. They were looking for answers and no one else was even asking the questions.

As I said in an earlier post (#4)I have not read the book, but I found a good overview here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Road

The section "Beat Generation Summary" says:
    "...some individuals of the young generation were seeking meaning outside the mainstream worldview." This is the point of the comment that Danalto asked about and I think that the it refers to people on a different wavelength and trying to break ground regarding circumstances that most people were not even aware of or cared about at that time.

(I think "sognare" doesn't work because the sense is more of "essere consapevole" and not "permettersi".)

My goodness I can see where the field of literary analysis gets very deep and complicated!
    :) :D

Last edited:

Danieloid

Italiano
    Grazie WordsWordWords, ora la questione mi è più chiara. Credo però che "sognarsi" in questo caso possa funzionare ("Caro mio, io ho delle idee che tu nemmeno te le sogni!"), e aggiungo una ulteriore proposta:
    Cercavano risposte a domande di cui gli altri non avevano neanche la più pallida idea.

< Previous | Next >