no other noun/no noun

KYC

Mandarin
Hello,there:
I have a problem.
I checked the archive but I am still unclear.
However, I learned that the sentence structure I am unclear is not idiomatic from the archive I got.
I post it because I saw it in exams,so hopefully, you can make it out for me.
My question is what the diffeerence between the sentence structures below is.
1. No other boy is as tall as Peter.
2. No boy is as tall as Peter.
Could you clarify it for me even I learned that the sentence structures are not idiomatic and maybe a silly question for native speakers from the archive?Because I need to take exams.
Thanks a lot!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Well, 2 is simple: Peter is the tallest boy. In 1, however, 'other' is saying "except for one person". Without context, the one person is obviously Peter. (So 1 means the same as 2.) But you can create a context where they mean different things: for example, John is as tall as Peter. But no other boy is as tall as Peter. Here we're also talking about all the boys in a group except one - but that one is John.

KYC

Mandarin
    Thanks for your clarification,entangledbank!
    It's reallly helpful!

Last edited:

Chinese Su

Chinese
    Well, 2 is simple: Peter is the tallest boy. In 1, however, 'other' is saying "except for one person". Without context, the one person is obviously Peter. (So 1 means the same as 2.) But you can create a context where they mean different things: for example, John is as tall as Peter. But no other boy is as tall as Peter. Here we're also talking about all the boys in a group except one - but that one is John.
    Is it correct and idiomatic to use the plural noun after "no other" and "no"?

For example, Taipei 101 is the tallest of all the buildings in Taiwan.

No (other) buildings in Taiwan are as/so tall as Taipei 101.
    No (other) buildings in Taiwan are taller than Taipei 101.

However,

No buildings in Taiwan are as tall as Burj Khalifa (in Dubai) .
    No buildings in Taiwan are taller than Burj Khalifa (in Dubai).

Thank you :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >