No pain at all

< Previous | Next >

translation lover

Arabic
Hi, can someone tell me if I understood this sentence correctly (in the egg retrieval paragraph)?

The number of eggs retrieved depends on how the patient has reacted to the fertility medication. The retrieval procedure takes about 15 minutes and is usually done under sedation. The feeling afterwards is either no pain at all to the feeling of a heavy period that may last for around two days. The more eggs retrieved, the more likely it is that the patient may feel a little discomfort.

The patient feels a minimal pain similar to that of a heavy period that lasts for around 2 days.

Right?

Source: http://www.fakihivf.com/gender-selection/

Thank you

• jmichaelm

English - US
    I think that's close. I understand it only slightly differently.
    The patient may feel no pain or may feel as if she were experiencing a heavy period, a feeling which may last around two days.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The feeling afterwards is either no pain at all to the feeling of a heavy period that may last for around two days. The more eggs retrieved, the more likely it is that the patient may feel a little discomfort.

The patient feels a minimal pain similar to that of a heavy period that lasts for around 2 days.
    Right?
    No, not quite. The problem here is that the quoted text seems to have suffered some confusion in the course of, um, reproduction. It should have read: The feeling afterward may range from no pain at all to the feeling of a heavy period; the latter may last for around 48 hours. The more eggs retrieved, the more likely it is that the patient will experience discomfort.

"Either" was misleading; both the "to" and the following sentence suggest that there is a range of possible reactions. And as other comments have made clear, the discomfort, if experienced, may be anything but "minimal".

pwmeek

English - American
    Try separating it this way:

The feeling afterwards is either can range from {no pain at all} to {the feeling of a heavy period that may last for around two days}.

I would not use "either" to introduce a range of results. This is not an either-or situation, but a spectrum of possible pain.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >