No Parking or get tyres deflated

gladorient

Chinese
Hi guys! I saw a "no parking " sign in a university here in China, which says "No parking or get tyres deflated". I am not sure of the usage of "get" in this sentence. Can any of you explain it to me? Thank you very much!

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I would read it as a threat that if you dare to park there, someone in authority will punish you by letting the air out of your tires. ("Tyres" is the British spelling.)

'You will get your tyres deflated' means "You will have it happen to you that your tyres are deflated."

Similar: You will get a cold. You may get an unpleasant surprise if you open that box. Rough synonyms-- undergo, have happen, suffer. "He got [suffered] a blow to the head"

M-W unabr:
    9a
    : to be subjected to : meet with
    <got a severe wound in battle>

Last edited:

gladorient

Chinese
    Thank you so much! In your example, the word 'get' can be used in place of be. I got your point. But, don't you feel a little awkward with no nouns preceding the word 'get' like in "No parking or get tires deflated"? Is it a proper way to omit "you will" in such a sign?

boozer

Bulgarian
    Hmm, of course it is a threat. But rather a merciful one. At least they have announced their intentions. And deflating the tyres is not like puncturing/cutting them with a screwdriver/knife, as some of our local yokels would do. :( What sounds strange to me in your situation is that the university authorities, no less, would be taking justice into their own hands rather than call the traffic police. That is the spirit in a reputed educational establishment. :D

< Previous | Next >