no problem

baroon

persian
hi
I have a English speaking friend and every time i say thank you she replies with no problem,is it correct to say it in every situation like
she calls me to see if i am ok or not
and i say thank you for asking,then she replies no problem
i thought no problem apply when someone do something for us ,but sounds like i am wrong ?

• heypresto

English - England
    You'll hear 'no problem' used like this frequently - too frequently for many people's taste. But it's so common that it would perhaps be wrong to call it wrong.

As an aside: please note that we always spell 'I' with a capital 'I'.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I believe he's saying that responding at all is very AE. It's been mentioned in several threads that BE speakers do not usually expect or give a response to "thank you."

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    Paul is saying that specific response "You're welcome" is very AE - not the fact that there is a response :D

For example, "Don't mention it", "Not at all" are other "proper" responses.
    Ah, OK. That sounds right to me. ;)

I should clarify: I don't mean to imply that "you're welcome" is the only proper response; the ones you mentioned are just fine.

It's just that I have a big problem with "no problem" because that implies that the person would otherwise be put out or inconvenienced but--lucky you--he/she isn't, and that sounds very rude to me.

Unfortunately, it seems to be the default response from Americans these days. :(

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Not only is this response "very AE," it has gained great favor—in the circles I frequented almost as popular as "okay"— in its literal translation into Mexican Spanish: just add an "a."

< Previous | Next >