no quiero que se nos vaya de las manos

basicamenteyo

Spanish-Spain
This is a sentence from a conversation between a man and a woman... they are having an affair but they don´t want the rest of the world to know it,so he says

"no quiero que esto se nos vaya de las manos..."

could it be "I don´t want this to get out of our hands" ??

sounds odd to me though....

thanks!!

• basicamenteyo

Spanish-Spain
    Yes, that is the right idea. I think I would prefer "I don't want anyone else to get wind of this", though.

yes,but in the conversation,the sentence is "no quiero que se nos vaya de las manos" so i need to translate it like that..

thank you very much!!

sound shift

English - England
    The fact that the Spanish includes the word "manos" does not imply that the translation must include the word "hand(s)". In fact "I don't want this to get out of hand" is vague to my ears. It could for example mean "I don't want our affair to take more and more of our time". It does not have the specific meaning "I don't want the rest of the world to know about this" given at post 1.

bondia

English-England
    The fact that the Spanish includes the word "manos" does not imply that the translation must include the word "hand(s)". In fact "I don't want this to get out of hand" is vague to my ears. It could for example mean "I don't want our affair to take more and more of our time". It does not have the specific meaning "I don't want the rest of the world to know about this" given at post 1.
    I agree. Maybe also:
    "I don't want this to become public knowledge"
    "I don't want this to come out into the open"

basicamenteyo

Spanish-Spain

can i answer is spanish?? I´m not that good at english and I think you can´t get the point of what I mean...

el hecho es que ambos quieren seguir con esa relación pero sin verse más envueltos... i mean... they want to keep on sleeping together he doesn´t want her to fall in love with him more than she already is.... and (i don´t know if it´s necessary to understand the meaning) the next sentence would be something like... " and I´m getting too much envolved with this too,and this can´t happen" says he.

i really think I´m doing a fool of myself with my bad english... sorry!!

sound shift

English - England
    Thanks. This involves two different ideas:
    1) They don't want others to hear of their affair.
    2) They don't want the affair to get more serious.
    I don't see how we can incorporate both ideas in a single expression.

JelloDucky

Spanish - Argentina
    can i answer is spanish?? I´m not that good at english and I think you can´t get the point of what I mean...

el hecho es que ambos quieren seguir con esa relación pero sin verse más envueltos... i mean... they want to keep on sleeping together he doesn´t want her to fall in love with him more than she already is.... and (i don´t know if it´s necessary to understand the meaning) the next sentence would be something like... " and I´m getting too much envolved with this too,and this can´t happen" says he.

i really think I´m doing a fool of myself with my bad english... sorry!!
    En ese caso, si la idea principal es que no quieren que se les vaya de las manos, en el sentido que no quieren que se convierta la relación en algo demasiado serio, o demasiado complicado, etc, la expresión sería "I don't want this to get out of hand", tal como te lo indica murkilator

basicamenteyo

Spanish-Spain
    Thanks. This involves two different ideas:
    1) They don't want others to hear of their affair.
    2) They don't want the affair to get more serious.
    I don't see how we can incorporate both ideas in a single expression.

well,in spanish defo the sentence is "que no se nos vaya de las manos"... which means "que siga como está" something like... "let it be like this,but not further...."

basicamenteyo

Spanish-Spain
    En ese caso, si la idea principal es que no quieren que se les vaya de las manos, en el sentido que no quieren que se convierta la relación en algo demasiado serio, o demasiado complicado, etc, la expresión sería "I don't want this to get out of hand", tal como te lo indica murkilator

thank you!!! i´m using this one!!

< Previous | Next >