no quiso tener al bebé

Yacamaca

Swedish
In many books it says that querer en preterite means to try. But I have seen so many examples where people just use it to mean simple wanted. Is this an example of where what teachers say and peole actually do differs a lot? For example "Ella no quiso tener al bebe." She didnt want to have the baby". etc etc

• Captain Lars

Deutsch (D)
    Los profesores explican muchos problemas de la grámatica de una manera "fácil", es decir, no quieren exigir demasiado de los alumnos / estudiantes de un idioma. Probablemente lo que piensan sea correcto. PERO, cuando llegue el momento de estudiar más, por ejemplo en la universidad, de pronto te das cuenta de que lo que te dijeron fue falso. Y lo que pensaste sobre un tema ha sido incorrecto, y, en realidad, no sólo NO te ayudó en aprender mejor el idioma, sino que hizo exáctamente lo contrario, dañó tu comprensión de la lengua y te hizo perder tiempo.

No sé cómo es en Suecia.

kevf

Español - Castellano
    " She didnt want to have the baby". > 1. ella no quiso tener al bebé. / 2. ella no quería tener al bebé. both are okay. But
    For the option nº 1:
    quiso; sounds like in present she'd already aborted the baby..
    For the option nº2:
    quería; sounds like she didn't wanted the baby, but changed her opinion, and gave birth the baby.
    But both options are okay; always depending on what it's next the same; similar to the case of "supe/quería."

Yacamaca

Swedish
    " She didnt want to have the baby". > 1. ella no quiso tener al bebé. / 2. ella no quería tener al bebé. both are okay. But
    For the option nº 1:
    quiso; sounds like in present she'd already aborted the baby..
    For the option nº2:
    quería; sounds like she didn't wanted the baby, but changed her opinion, and gave birth the baby.
    But both options are okay; always depending on what it's next the same; similar to the case of "supe/quería."
    Yes! But the books say that quiso means "She didnt try to have the baby", but to me it also means "She didnt want to have the baby (and probably aborted it, or at least at that point she was sure that she didnt want the baby). Queria, to means, back then she didnt want the baby, and how it is now we dont know for sure.

But my point is as my original question was, here it doesnt mean "try to"? Correct? Thanx for your help!

machokrap

UK
    Spanish (Venezuela, Chile)
    The essential meaning of querer: to want/love.
    To translate it as "try to" is wrong unless you derive that meaning from the context in a non literal translation, to generalise querer as try is wrong.

quería: the past imperfect tense-> used to do something but not anymore (in general).

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Look again at your grammar book. Hopefully it will say that "quiso" means "tried to", while "no quiso" means "refused to".
    To make the above statements more accurate, soften them up by replacing "means" with "can often be translated as".

ChocolateLover

English
    Hello,

I was also confused about this. I then found a really good book that clearly explains the preterite and the imperfect. It's a fantastic book called "Speak And Write Spanish As If It Were Your Native Language" on lulu.com.

When other books talk about the verbs that "change meaning," it is an overgeneralization and is not always true. You are correct in that "no quiso" can mean "he/she/you formal did not want to..."

Espero que te sirva
    Saludos
    http://bib.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/35761630101354941976613/p0000004.htm

P.D. Aquí tienes un excelente artículo al respecto

Sherlockat

Castilian (Patagonian)
    Los profesores explican muchos problemas de la grámatica de una manera "fácil", es decir, no quieren exigir demasiado de los alumnos / estudiantes de un idioma. Probablemente lo que piensan sea correcto. PERO, cuando llegue el momento de estudiar más, por ejemplo en la universidad, de pronto te das cuenta de que lo que te dijeron fue falso. Y lo que pensaste sobre un tema ha sido incorrecto, y, en realidad, no sólo NO te ayudó en aprender mejor el idioma, sino que hizo exáctamente lo contrario, dañó tu comprensión de la lengua y te hizo perder tiempo.

No sé cómo es en Suecia.
    Agree with that, when you study a new language you come to realise that and one needs to "go back" to the "basic rules" to understand properly English language.

< Previous | Next >