no sé qué vaya a pasar (saber + indicativo/subjuntivo)

< Previous | Next >

ilias05

Dutch-Netherlands
Dear people

Is there someone who can explain me the difference between the indicative and subjunctive is used in the sentences below

no sé qué vaya a pasar
nadie sabe lo que va a pasar

Thanks in advance

• MiguelitOOO

Banned
    Español - México
    Negative Opinions and Doubt
    The subjunctive occurs in dependent clauses introduced by verbs and expressions of doubt or negative opinions whenever there are two different subjects in the two clauses linked by the subordinating conjunction que. Here is a list of common expressions of negative opinion and doubt with which the subjunctive is found in the subordinate clause:
    no creer que / to not believe that …
    no pensar que / to not think that …
    dudar que / to doubt that …
    no opinar que / to not think that …

no me/te/le/nos/les parece que it doesn’t seem to me/you/him that…
    La verdad no, no creo que eso sea correcto. Actually no, I do not think this is fair.

Remember that such expressions of opinion, when used in affirmative statements, are followed by the indicative.
    Creo que voy a quedarme con una familia para que pueda practicar español en la casa. I think I will stay with a family so that I can practice Spanish at home.
    Spanish in Texas Org.
    Subjunctive Mood - Spanish Grammar in Context
    (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

Last edited:

S.V.

Español, México
    It is the same as this thread. As they mention, it still survives in LatAm, though it was used before in Spain:

"Yo no sé muy bien qué sea materia ni qué sea espíritu" (Ortega Gasset).
    "—La verdad, hija... no sé qué te diga..." (Pérez Galdós).​

About lo que and qué, verbs that allow both nouns and wh-words admit both: "I don't know the time" / "I don't know what time it is."
    No sé, dime, olvidé qué quieres ~ lo que quieres (43.8d).​
    Both translate as what, in English. When you can add determinantes, like "the hell", and stress its pronunciation, it's our "qué".

< Previous | Next >