No se lo consiento a mi marido, te lo voy a consentir a ti.

< Previous | Next >

Bartlebys

Spanish
Hola: ¿Alguien puede ayudarme a traducir esta expresión o expresiones al inglés del modo más apróximado? No sé cómo traducir este tipo de afirmaciones irónicas que en realidad niegan. ¿Conocéis un equivalente en inglés?: "No se lo consiento a mi marido, te lo voy a consentir a ti", o "No lo hago por mí, lo voy a hacer por ti, ¡no te digo!

Muchas gracias

• k-in-sc

U.S. English
    Welcome to the forum!
    When would you say these things?
    Do you just mean "I wouldn't even do this for my husband, but I'm doing it for you" and "I'm not doing this for myself, I'm doing it for you"?

SevenDays

Spanish/AE
    I think he is talking about irony, seeming to give approval, when you are doing just the opposite; sort of:
    I won't permit my husband do that, and I'm gonna let you do it. You got some nerve ...
    Right; like I'm gonna let you do it. I won't even permit my husband do that.

Cheers

Bartlebys

Spanish
    Welcome to the forum!
    When would you say these things?
    Do you just mean "I wouldn't even do this for my husband, but I'm doing it for you" and "I'm not doing this for myself, I'm doing it for you"?
    No, no, K-in-sec, that's the weird part here indeed: In Spanish we use quite frequently these expressions. "I wouldn't even do this for my husband", that's ok, but now "I won't do that for you in any case. No way", that's its real meaning. I see maybe makes no sense in English, but it's a very common way to express a denial through an ironic affirmation. If I say "I wouldn't even do this for my husband, even less I'd do it for you", or something similar, maybe I am close, I don't know, but we lose the irony there, I guess.

Hope I explained myself. Thank you anyway, K...

Bartlebys

Spanish
    Seven: If I say: "I'm gonna let you do it. I won't even permit my husband do that", am I saying "yes" ironically when I really say "no way"? If so, that's exactly what I need.

Bartlebys

Spanish
    También se admite cambiar las cláusulas de orden: "¡Venga ya! Te lo voy a consentir a ti cuando no se lo consiento a mi marido". Aquí la afirmación "te lo voy a consentir" es de hecho una negación.

SevenDays

Spanish/AE
    Seven: If I say: "I'm gonna let you do it. I won't even permit my husband do that", am I saying "yes" ironically when I really say "no way"? If so, that's exactly what I need.
    Sí, esa es la idea; también puedes agregar una palabra o frase que transmita esa ironía, como "like" (Like I'm gonna let you do it), "yeah sure" (I'm gonna let you do it. Yeah, sure. I won't even let my husband do that), "no way", etc.

k-in-sc

U.S. English
    (Permit to, too formal for this context)
    (Gonna, wanna, gotta, etc.: Overused by non-native speakers, please avoid)
    "Yeah, right, like I'm going to let you do that, when I won't even let my husband do it."

< Previous | Next >