No tossing

< Previous | Next >

wha002

Chinese
It is a sign on a glass wall beside an escalator in the subway station. The Chinese in the picture tells people do not throw or drop anything over the wall to prevent people on the escalator from getting hurt.

“No tossing” seems very strange to me. Should it better be “No throwing” or something else?

To understand the background of my question, please check my previous thread: Please yield to alighting passengers

Attachments

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    “No tossing” seems very strange to me.
    I agree. I can't really think of a single word to capture the intended meaning. You'd need "No throwing things over the glass partition/Don't throw anything over the glass partition".

wha002

Chinese
    “No littering” would probably work better. ‘Tossing’ could mean masturbating or vomiting. :D
    I think it is more than just “No throwing garbage” but also “no throwing anything that may hurt people”

“No littering” would probably work better. ‘Tossing’ could mean masturbating or vomiting. :D
    then we may need this no tossing sign on boy'dormitory in school.

I agree. I can't really think of a single word to capture the intended meaning. You'd need "No throwing things over the glass partition/Don't throw anything over the glass partition".
    Thanks

As the picture shows, I really need a short phrase if it is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

wha002

Chinese
    "No littering" fits. I was wondering whether to suggest it but didn't because you said it referred to the possibility of people getting hurt. But as YLR says, that's unlikely, considering the partition would be no more than waist-high for most people.
    Thanks

Please check the pictures attached below. One is the “No tossing” sign and another is the “No littering” sign. They are different and I think they are trying to say different things. That is the reason why I said it referred to the possibility of people getting hurt, although it is my own interpretation.

Attachments

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I see what you mean. The second sign in your #10 (the one in your OP) has a hammer, a nail and something that looks like a bottle on it. Perhaps it warns against dropping things that might jam or damage the escalator.

I still find it odd that they'd be worried about people getting hurt by something being thrown over the glass partition because it isn't a high one, and it's transparent. I'd say "No littering" works here too, or perhaps "Don't drop anything on the escalator".

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    "No throwing" doesn't work for me. It doesn't specify what you shouldn't throw.

"No dropping things" is clearer but sounds a little odd. I'm not sure why. It sounds like something you might say to a small child. I can't think of a short alternative to "No littering" at the moment.

manfy

German - Austria
    Can it be "No throwing" or "No dropping things" ?
    I agree with Barque; I don't quite like "No throwing".
    I'd be quite happy with the general "Do not throw objects" (without trying to specify details).
    This old thread on the Chinglish sign "Do not parabolic" :p might give you some good ideas.

dojibear

English - US
    One problem is density. The "no tossing" sign uses 4 syllables in Chinese, but the Chinese writing system is very compact, so it is 4 characters. "No tossing" is only 3 syllables, but is 10 symbols.

Packard

USA, English
    Was this a Chinese sign with an English translation or was it originally an English language sign that was translated into Chinese?

"No leaning, no crossing, no tossing." reads like a phrase and includes rhyming.

"No leaning, no crossing, no littering" also reads like a phrase (but less so because it lacks the rhyme).

It is like the American signs that say, "If you see something, say something." It reads much better than ,"If you see something suspicious, report it to the authorities."

wha002

Chinese
    Was this a Chinese sign with an English translation or was it originally an English language sign that was translated into Chinese?

"No leaning, no crossing, no tossing." reads like a phrase and includes rhyming.

"No leaning, no crossing, no littering" also reads like a phrase (but less so because it lacks the rhyme).

It is like the American signs that say, "If you see something, say something." It reads much better than ,"If you see something suspicious, report it to the authorities."
    It is a Chinese sign with an English translation. You can see it in the picture attached in 1#.
    I do not think they were trying to create rhyming in translation. “tossing” is a poor selection of words.

wha002

Chinese
    I agree with Barque; I don't quite like "No throwing".
    I'd be quite happy with the general "Do not throw objects" (without trying to specify details).
    This old thread on the Chinglish sign "Do not parabolic" :p might give you some good ideas.
    Thanks. That is an interesting thread. "Do not parabolic” is a horrible translation, and it shows the translator could not care less.

As discussed above, my confusion is that does “do not litter” only refer to trash/garbage being throw away? And here, we need to cover a wider range of things including tools, toys, or anything people may carry and throw/drop them.

If I use “do not throw objects”, how can I explain why "No throwing" does not work?

Packard

USA, English
    Thanks. That is an interesting thread. "Do not parabolic” is a horrible translation, and it shows the translator could not care less.

As discussed above, my confusion is that does “do not litter” only refer to trash/garbage being throw away? And here, we need to cover a wider range of things including tools, toys, or anything people may carry and throw/drop them.

If I use “do not throw objects”, how can I explain why "No throwing" does not work?
    "Do not throw objects off the bridge" would be aimed at protecting the vehicles/pedestrians under the bridge from being hit with solid objects that could do physical harm. A brick thrown off a bridge at an oncoming car could kill the driver or passenger.

A concrete block thrown from a Nashville bridge crashed through a windshield and killed a man on his way to work - CNN
    A concrete block thrown from a Nashville bridge crashed through a windshield and killed a man on his way to work

"Do not toss litter off the bridge", would be aimed at keeping the roadway below clear of litter. It would not be addressing safety issues.

wha002

Chinese
    "Do not throw objects off the bridge" would be aimed at protecting the vehicles/pedestrians under the bridge from being hit with solid objects that could do physical harm. A brick thrown off a bridge at an oncoming car could kill the driver or passenger.

A concrete block thrown from a Nashville bridge crashed through a windshield and killed a man on his way to work - CNN
    A concrete block thrown from a Nashville bridge crashed through a windshield and killed a man on his way to work

"Do not toss litter off the bridge", would be aimed at keeping the roadway below clear of litter. It would not be addressing safety issues.
    Thanks

< Previous | Next >