No vehicles on the central part of the main road

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Kacy.H, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Kacy.H

Kacy.H Senior Member

China
    Chinese
    <Moved from another thread. Nat, moderator>

But do you mind to let me know how to describe the change that will happen to the main road. I'm not sure if i can call it "central part of the main road".

Vehicles will not be permitted on the central part of the main road. (I'm describing "pedestrians only")

The picture is here The maps below show the centre of a small town called Islip as it is now, and plans for its development.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2018
  2. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I would say that the central section of the main road will be pedestrianised.

3. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I would say "A by-pass will be built to take the main road away from the town centre, and the town centre will be pedestrianised."

4. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Without the context of the map, I thought the "central part/section" of the road is the inner lanes going along the road. The part of the road that runs through the city center isn't necessarily the central (halfway between the ends) part of the road. :)

5. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    That would have to be British only. I cannot imagine "pedestrianised" in the USA.

A pedestrian-only walkway will be established in the center (usually as an "island").

[​IMG]

6. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think we are imagining two different situations and interpreting 'central part' differently.

I think you are thinking of a pavement (walkway) where the central reservation (median strip) normally is.

I was thinking of a road with sections of it closed off from motorised traffic, or an arrangement where vehicles are not allowed into the city centre.

7. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    Yes, I misunderstood.

In the mid 1970s, in Freeport, New York (on Long Island) they created such a space. They called it a “Pedestrian Mall”. It was an economic failure and was abandoned 10 years later. It was also a beacon for crime—which probably added to the reasons for its failure.

FREEPORT ABANDONING FAILED PEDESTRIAN MALL

FREEPORT, L.I., Dec. 6— More than a decade ago, village officials decided to compete with the growing number of shopping malls in the area by banning vehicles from Main Street in the aging downtown and turning it into a pedestrian mall.

8. Kacy.H

Kacy.H Senior Member

China
    Chinese
    This is so hard!!!!!

9. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Your attempt is close but it is ambiguous
    “Vehicles will not be permitted on the central part of the main road” (people interpret it as the middle of the road)
    This is clearer:
    “Vehicles will not be permiited on the road in the central part of the town”
    Beow is a pixture of such a situation - Cormarket Street in the centre of Oxford. E7A8A8EB-1AA9-4E12-87F1-ED86736DB1F1.jpeg

10. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    If you Google “pedestrian mall”, you will find that it is a commonplace term for this concept.

You will also find “zoned pedestrian” used to describe these spaces.

So...

The area of town bordered by 6th Avenue at the north and 12th Avenue at the south between 9th Street and 16th Street will be designated a pedestrian zone with only very limited vehicular access. It will feature many upscale boutiques and some fine dining restaurants.

11. Kacy.H

Kacy.H Senior Member

China
    Chinese
    But, it is actually not "the central part of the town" . Maybe, Vehicles will not be permiited on the road in the central north part of the town?

12. Kacy.H

Kacy.H Senior Member

China
    Chinese
    Or, should I just say "Vehicles will not be permiited on the road in the central north town" ? (I saw it on google: central north island)

13. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    The question of whether to say "central north (part of) the town" is covered in your other thread, Kacy: central north