No way was I going to catch the “plague” from that freak.

< Previous | Next >

Yoshi.son

Korean
Hi.

I found this sentence in the novel, Auggie & Me.

No way was I going to catch the “plague” from that freak.

The problem is that I cannot understand the exact meaning of this sentence.
Can you please tell me the meaning of this sentence?

All I know about "no way" is "there is no way".
So, the meaning of this sentence I understand is as follows.

There was no way I was going to catch the plague from that freak.
In other words, there was no possibility that I would plan to catch the plague from that freak.

Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

• Chez

English English
    No way! is often used as an exclamation on its own, meaning 'on absolutely no account/never!'.

So, yes, it means the speaker is absolutely determined that he will have nothing to do with this character so he doesn't catch the 'plague' (whatever that refers to in this instance)

kentix

English - U.S.
    Basically he's saying "I won't allow it to happen." And that implies he will take actions to avoid the risk, probably by avoiding spending any time with or near that person.

(Like Chez said.)

The key point is not that he thinks that there's no chance, the key point is that he will make sure of it by doing certain things to make it impossible.

Yoshi.son

Korean
    No way! is often used as an exclamation on its own, meaning 'on absolutely no account/never!'.

So, yes, it means the speaker is absolutely determined that he will have nothing to do with this character so he doesn't catch the 'plague' (whatever that refers to in this instance)
    Thank you. Thank you very much.

Yoshi.son

Korean
    Basically he's saying "I won't allow it to happen." And that implies he will take actions to avoid the risk, probably by avoiding spending any time with or near that person.

(Like Chez said.)

The key point is not that he thinks that there's no chance, the key point is that he will make sure of it by doing certain things to make it impossible.
    Thank you very much for your kindness.

< Previous | Next >