"No wonder" vs " natural"

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
Hi

I feel difficult in distingusihing usuages between "no wonder " and "natural"
I guess when I ask somebody if my expression or sentence does not sound awkward, I can use "natural" .

However, below cases, should I use "no wonder " only or can I use " natural" as well?
Also I am curious if there is other expressions which can replace " no wonder" in the below situations.

Since you did not your best, it is no wonder you failed to pass the exam.
Because you didn't study English hard, it is no wonder you cannot speak English.
Working on the weekends was considered to be natural(?)/no wonder(?) to my father's generation, not like our generation.

• Rhye

English - American
    Natural could be used to replace "no wonder" in both of your first two example sentences.

Usually, "no wonder" either stands alone or it is preceded by "it's/it is", so it sounds rather strange to be preceded by the infinitive "to be" (even though we're talking about the same verb). "No wonder" is still grammatically correct in that third sentence, but people wouldn't ordinarily use it there. The reason is that "no wonder" is often thought of as idiomatic, even though it really isn't, but either way people usually restrict its usage to those particular constructions that I mentioned earlier (at least in ordinary speech/writing).

Copyright

American English
    Since you did not study for the exam, it's no wonder you failed it.
    Since you did not study for the exam, naturally you failed it.

(I changed "did not do your best" – perhaps he did.)

Because you didn't study English hard enough, it's no wonder you can't speak it.

Because you didn't study English hard enough, naturally you can't speak it.

(Use contractions – it's rather than "it is" – it sounds more natural.)

Working on the weekends was considered normal for my father's generation, not like ours.

Added: Cross-posted.

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    Natural could be used to replace "no wonder" in both of your first two example sentences.

Usually, "no wonder" either stands alone or it is preceded by "it's/it is", so it sounds rather strange to be preceded by the infinitive "to be" (even though we're talking about the same verb). "No wonder" is still grammatically correct in that third sentence, but people wouldn't ordinarily use it there. The reason is that "no wonder" is often thought of as idiomatic, even though it really isn't, but either way people usually restrict its usage to those particular constructions that I mentioned earlier (at least in ordinary speech/writing).
    Thank you for the kind explantion.
    By the way, in the case of third sentence, is it still acceptable and sounds idiomatic if it goes with "natural" instead of "no wonder", like as below?
    "Working on the weekends was considered to be natural to my father's generation, not like our generation."

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    Since you did not study for the exam, it's no wonder you failed it.
    Since you did not study for the exam, naturally you failed it.

(I changed "did not do your best" – perhaps he did.)

Because you didn't study English hard enough, it's no wonder you can't speak it.

Because you didn't study English hard enough, naturally you can't speak it.

(Use contractions – it's rather than "it is" – it sounds more natural.)

Working on the weekends was considered normal for my father's generation, not like ours.

Added: Cross-posted.
    Thanks for the examples and comparisons.
    It hepled me a lot. :thumbsup:

Copyright

American English
    By the way, in the case of third sentence, is it still acceptable and sounds idiomatic if it goes with "natural" instead of "no wonder", like as below?
    "Working on the weekends was considered to be natural to my father's generation, not like our generation."
    "Working on the weekends was considered to be natural to for my father's generation, not like our generation."
    "Unlike our generation, working on weekends was considered natural for my father's generation."

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    "Working on the weekends was considered to be natural to for my father's generation, not like our generation."
    "Unlike our generation, working on weekends was considered natural for my father's generation."
    Thank you for the correction. :):thumbsup:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You did not do your best; (it's) no wonder you failed...
    You didn't study English hard; (it's) no wonder you cannot....

Working on the weekends was considered to be natural...
    (if you want to use something similar to "no wonder", you could say: "was not considered unusual") I agree with Copyright's corrections of course.

< Previous | Next >