No wonder

Feist_5BLA

Mexico Spanish
I've been told that "no wonder" is very informal for academic writing. What other word can I use? Any suggestions?

e.g. It is used for everyday activities such as shopping, banking, and no wonder, to make new friends"

Thank you

Feist

• Sabapathy

Tamil
    It is no wonder that he got through the exam. - Informal
    Meaning about the exitement .

It is no surprise that he got through the exam - formal
    Meaning the knowledge of passing through sucessfuly in the exam was known earlier

- from Sabapathy

Forero

I feel that "no wonder" does not even make sense in the sample sentence at all. I think "of course" is what was meant.

"No wonder" means that some fact is not surprising. It can be used just before stating a fact:

No wonder he didn't make any friends: he couldn't speak their language.

It can also be used with the fact understood though not expressed:

No wonder: he couldn't speak their language.

The fact may have already been expressed:

He didn't make any friends, and no wonder: he couldn't speak their language.

There is no unsurprising fact expressed or implied in the sample sentence in connection with "no wonder", which comes in the middle of a list of everyday activities.

Feist_5BLA

Mexico Spanish
    Thank you for replying!

So, are you sure there's no way to use "no wonder" in the middle of a sentence. I have to admit that my example was a bit weird. I was just looking for a more formal word or phrase to express a contrasting/surprinsing idea.

"This and this, and no wonder, that".

Thanks

Loob

English UK
    I'm not sure it's the position in the middle of the sentence that's the problem, Feist_5BLA. Forero's post gives excellent examples of how we use "no wonder".

For your original question, I like either "unsurprisingly" or "of course". "Unsurprisingly" has overtones of "I am not surprised about this"; "of course" implies "as you (the reader) and I both know".

< Previous | Next >